X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The upgrade has aborted. System unstable

Hello,

I tried to upgrade 13.10 -> 14-04 via Muon GUI. The upgrade failed with error message "Could not install the upgrades: The upgrade has aborted. Your system could be in an unstable state. A recovery will run now (dpkg --configure -a)."

Upgrade log:

2014-04-19 10:09:18,645 ERROR not handled exception in KDE frontend:
    SystemError: E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1), E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

2014-04-19 10:09:18,646 DEBUG running apport_crash()
    2014-04-19 10:09:18,756 ERROR SystemError from cache.commit(): installArchives() failed
    2014-04-19 10:10:56,968 DEBUG enabling apt cron job
    2014-04-19 10:10:56,970 DEBUG Running PostInstallScript: './xorg_fix_proprietary.py'
    2014-04-19 10:11:00,301 DEBUG enabling apt cron job
    The GRUB was broken, but I got it fixed and finally manged to reboot. I tried to fix the packages, but I don't know if I managed to do so.

After a reboot the system is working somehow, but very slowly and it does all kinds of strange things.

- System reacts very slowly and has little freezes now and then
    - Keyboard is unusable in Firefox browser. After every five letters you write, next four keypresses lead to "dsab". If you for example hold down space, firefox writes " dsab dsab dsab" and holding key a leads to "aaaaadsabaaaaadsabaaa".
    - Because Firefox was unusable, and I thought you wouldn't like to read dsab's, I changed to Rekonq browser. On first try Rekonq took a fair 7GB ram with on e tab and this page (and usage was rising all the time). After restart it has been better (now 300MB).

How can I fix or finish the aborted upgrade?

You will/should/need to be on a wired internet connection for the following.

Reboot and enter Recovery Mode from the Grub Menu. After you've logged in type:
    Code:
    apt-get install -f
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    After all finishes, type:
    Code:
    shutdown -r now
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There was nothing but one package to update. The only one was unneeded, so I removed it.

After the latest reboot, the system feels more stable and the issues mentioned above are gone. Maybe some changes I made on search indexing and desktop effects fixed those.

The Firefox issue was weird, Does anyone know, what can cause that?

Comment

Broken packages can cause all kinds of strange issues.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
        X