This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lost my K when I went from "K"ubuntu12.04LTS to "K"ubuntu14.04LTS

Been happy with my kubuntu12.04LTS and had most things nailed down. Then I saw the recent announcement of Kubuntu 14.04 LTS. Being a dyed in the wool distro-hopper(or upgrader) I guess I got what I deserved; the unexpected! Well all in all it isn't really the end of the world! I followed the links of the Kubuntu 14.04 LTS announcement and proceeded with the upgrade. And after a few hours and some attendance to requests; I found myself with a beautiful new 14.04LTS installed. That is "U"buntu14.04LTS and not "K"ubuntu. What happened and do I have a way to getting the "K"ubuntu14.04LTS?

if you have somehow lost the ability to use kde. you can install the package "kubuntu-desktop" using the package manager or just run the command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    in the terminal. After install finishes you can log out and from the Login screen select "session" and select kde or plasma desktop for you session then log in. If you wish you can then remove all the ubuntu relaited stuff. Thats going to require you to remove unity and whatever apps come with the standard ubuntu desktop. You can keep both desktop if you want its no problem . there are quite a few desktops you can use if you wanted to experiment with them. the only downside to installing several desktop enviroment is that you will have some apps that do the samething (file managers,text editors) as many DEs will also include some applications as well.

pretty good list of some desktop you can use and how to get them : http://askubuntu.com/questions/65083...-are-available
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
      if you have somehow lost the ability to use kde. you can install the package "kubuntu-desktop" using the package manager or just run the command
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
      in the terminal. After install finishes you can log out and from the Login screen select "session" and select kde or plasma desktop for you session then log in. If you wish you can then remove all the ubuntu relaited stuff. Thats going to require you to remove unity and whatever apps come with the standard ubuntu desktop. You can keep both desktop if you want its no problem . there are quite a few desktops you can use if you wanted to experiment with them. the only downside to installing several desktop enviroment is that you will have some apps that do the samething (file managers,text editors) as many DEs will also include some applications as well.

pretty good list of some desktop you can use and how to get them : http://askubuntu.com/questions/65083...-are-available
      Thank you sithlord48 for informative response. The upgrade did provide 4 or 5 desktop options at login; so all in all I'm in pretty good shape.

Tanks again

Comment

your most welcome.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
        X