X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanner not recognized

Hello,
    obviously Kubuntu 14.04.3 LTS is good for a surprise toot. I am using the multifunction device Canon MG 2500 series for printing and scanning. Printing is no problem. Even scanning was no problem until yesterday. I only had to make sure that the scanning software Xsane started right after I turned on the scanner. But now the scanner is no longer recognized. What can I do?

today I reinstalled Kubuntu 14.04.3 LTS completely. Even the preferences files in "home" I deleted by formatting. Everything is like a virgin. but the scanner is not recognized. What can I do?

Today I found out the following:
    "http:linux.die.net/man/1/sane-find-scanner" gives fist hints. In the console I typed and executed "sane-find-scanner". And i got the following :

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
    # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
    # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
    # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

could not open USB device 0x04f2/0xb110 at 002:004: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    could not open USB device 0x04a9/0x176d at 002:008: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 002:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 008:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 007:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    could not open USB device 0x0489/0xe011 at 006:003: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    could not open USB device 0x1a81/0x1701 at 006:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 006:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 005:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    could not open USB device 0x8564/0x1000 at 001:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    could not open USB device 0x147e/0x1000 at 004:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 004:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 003:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
    # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
    # you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and have setup
    # the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
    # can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
    # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
    # necessary.

With "man sane-usb" I got more hints. The folders and files (with insufficient permissions) above I found in "dev/bus/usb". With "Properties" in Dolphin I could see and edit the permissions. But they won't be stored. Similar is the hint that "chmod a+rw /dev/bus/usb/Verzeichnis/Datei" is not permanent. How I can solve the problem with "udev" I could not find out. I would be happy about some help.
    Regards, Sigurd

Hello,
    obviously nobody is able to help.
    How can I start Dolphin with Administrator-Rights? I remember "Alt Gr + F2". But it does not work anymore. I guess with Administrator-Rights I should be able to change the permissions of the files. Below is a snapshot of the existing rights of such a file:
    [IMG]file:///home/sigurd/Graphics/Pixel Graphics/General/snapshot1.png[/IMG]

Regards,
    Sigurd

Comment

How can I start Dolphin with Administrator-Rights?
      kdesudo dolphin

give your password, and ignore all the strange messages, like these:

Code:
      Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
      IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
      Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
      Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
      QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
      QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
      Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
      IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
      QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap
      Last edited by Qqmike; Nov 08, 2015, 08:41 AM.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Solved

Hello,
        Thank you Qqmike. I did so and changed the permissions of the above mentioned files. But the OS changes the files. For instance: "dev/bus/usb/002/008" disappears and the new file 009 appears and later 009 disappears and 005 appears. Of course these new files come with the insufficient permissions. And after a reboot all these files are back to the insufficient permissions. This was not a solution. And I checked if the OS uses Sane and blocks it for others. It didn't.
        I assumed that perhaps my install-DVD has a mistake. I downloaded Kubuntu 14.04.3 LTS again, burned a new DVD and installed it. Everything as it was - frustrating!
        Now I replaced the stable running Kubuntu 14.04.3 LTS (but without working Sane) with the hopfully long lasting Kubuntu 15.10 (but with working Sane). I can scan now without any problem. But how long may Kubuntu 15.10 run on my computer? The last time it worked for 6 days. Then it did no want to boot again. I still have a question. But now it is for Kubuntu 15.10 in the other folder. For now the problem is solved. And I leanred a lot about the OS.
        Thank you very much,
        Sigurd
        Last edited by Sigurd; Nov 09, 2015, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X