This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi, need some help installing wireless printer

I just purchased an HP Deskjet 2540 AIO. On this laptop (pc A) I have Win7 and Kubuntu 14.04 running, the printer is installed using wire first in Win7 and Kubuntu, and I have wireless printing in Win7. The Kubuntu laptop in my office (pc B) is wired directly and working.

What I would like is to get wireless working on this Kubuntu install (pc A) on the laptop in my room, the one I use most the time. My phone even prints wirelessly.

I have opened up settings/printers/add new printer, snapshot uploaded, what do I do now, I tried using manual uri, but it didn't work, I have already printed the printer configuration page so I have all the ip stuff. I know samba won't work, printer isn't wired to a windows pc, and I already installed hdlip or whatever file that was, I can print with this laptop (pc A) if I take it in the office and wire it up, so it does see it that way, don't know what else to add at this point.
    Any ideas?
    Attached Files

Have you downloaded and run hplip from http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/downloads.html
    Download the file. open a terminal. Do NOT do any of the following as root, or it will fail. installer will ask for sudo password and use it where needed (IE downloading dependencies)
    sudo chmod +x hplip-3.15.7.run
    sh hpilip-3.15.7.run
    Accept all defaults until it asks
    Restart or re-plug in your printer (r=restart, p=re-plug in*, i=ignore/continue, q=quit) :
    choose i, then when this comes up
    Do you want to setup printer in GUI mode? (u=GUI mode*, i=Interactive mode) :

choose u. you will see tdevice discovery. choose network/ether/wireless
    click show advanced. click manual discovery. in the nox for ipaddress, enter your printers ip, click next. when your printer shows, click it and next. On the net page, change the name if you like, then click add printer

This is how I installed my officejet 4632 wireless printer. Printing and scanning work fine
    Last edited by vsreeser; Aug 04, 2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

What vsreeser said, with one addition: Your wireless dispenses IP addresses within a certain range. Mine is set to give IP's between the range 192.168.1.100-105. Set your printer with a static IP address OUTSIDE that range so that it doesn't matter which order your printer or other laptops on your LAN sign on. Otherwise, people setting up the printer with one address may find it won't find the printer the next time they log on.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        What vsreeser said, with one addition: Your wireless dispenses IP addresses within a certain range. Mine is set to give IP's between the range 192.168.1.100-105. Set your printer with a static IP address OUTSIDE that range so that it doesn't matter which order your printer or other laptops on your LAN sign on. Otherwise, people setting up the printer with one address may find it won't find the printer the next time they log on.
        Forgot that one important point. Both of my printers are set static

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
          Have you downloaded and run hplip from http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/downloads.html
          Download the file. open a terminal. Do NOT do any of the following as root, or it will fail. installer will ask for sudo password and use it where needed (IE downloading dependencies)
          sudo chmod +x hplip-3.15.7.run
          sh hplip-3.15.7.run
          Accept all defaults until it asks
          Restart or re-plug in your printer (r=restart, p=re-plug in*, i=ignore/continue, q=quit) :
          Do you want to setup printer in GUI mode? (u=GUI mode*, i=Interactive mode) :

choose u. you will see tdevice discovery. choose network/ether/wireless
          click show advanced. click manual discovery. in the nox for ipaddress, enter your printers ip, click next. when your printer shows, click it and next. On the net page, change the name if you like, then click add printer
          As I stated in my post, I have already run this HDLIP file in the terminal, yes I ran the updated version 3.15.7, installed everything, I can print if wired, but the wireless didn't go through, when i get to the GUI thing it seems to fail, I don't know how to go forward. And this was 2 days ago, can't seem to find the instructions I used at that time. Am I supposed to have the printer wired when I run HDLIP, because I didn't have it connected when running the file?

I saw this when running hdlip and chose "i" "Restart or re-plug in your printer (r=restart, p=re-plug in*, i=ignore/continue, q=quit) : '
          This never came up, didn't get any kind of GUI mode "Do you want to setup printer in GUI mode? (u=GUI mode*, i=Interactive mode) :"
          It seems 3.13.9 is already installed, it asked to uninstall before installing 3.15, so I hit "i, remove and install".

I found out why I couldn't run it at first, your "sh hpilip-3.15.7.run" says hdilip, took out that first "i" and it ran.

I even said yes to check for updates.
          chose "i",
          his came up in terminal also "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:127: RuntimeWarning: PyOS_InputHook is not available for interactive use of PyGTK
          set_interactive(1)'??
          It finished, gonna send a file to print, ****, no print, but I discovered the stupid printer was off, turned it on but nothing came through, gonna try again now that its on.

running a second time did state 3.15.7 is installed now, now it won't find the printer, "no devices found".
          I don't have any more time tonight to work on this but I gave as much info as i could, gonna try again tomorrow after work, I'm gonna plug it in this time, see if that helps.

I couldn't let it go, I got it to work but now I have 2 ques 2540 and 2540_2
          Last edited by Clayman1000x; Aug 04, 2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

gonna see how it goes in the morning.

Comment

ave you installed "hplip-gui" ,,,,it will give you a nice system tray settings icon that has all the HP controls (like delete ques).

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hotdog, got home this morning, went to my office and turned on the printer, went back to my room, sent a page to the printer and it printed, problem solved for this comp, gonna bookmark this post for future reference and setup my office laptop for wireless print.
                And yes, I have the HP icon in my sys tray, already deleted the 2540 que. Thank you guys so much, learning how to get around the terminal is getting better for me.

edit:
                Installed on office pc in minutes, no problems, thanks all.
                Last edited by Clayman1000x; Aug 05, 2015, 07:10 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Working...
                X