Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WiFi on Kubuntu 14.04 LTS does not work.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi on Kubuntu 14.04 LTS does not work.

Hello to everyone:
    I've just installed Kubuntu 14.04 LTS in a old Toshiba Satellite P25-S607 and everything is OK but the WiFi card.
    I still can browse the web by means of the Ethernet LAN(wired), but I would like to enjoy the benefits of a wireless card.
    By the way this card is:

Integrated 802.11 a/b Wireless LAN.

I read the specifications and is established that way.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Negrazo49

I wan't able to identify a specific chip associated with that wifi. The Toshiba P25 was made in 2008. It probably doesn't support WPA, only WEP, which isn't secure at all.
    You might want to consider a USB 2.0 Wifi adaptor that has WPA capability.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2ybabcjqtl_b
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Press Alt+F2 and then type: driver manager and press Enter. If driver software is identified, click the check box to activate.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The driver manager KDE service never identifies any drivers for this Acer Aspire 7739-6830 and, on the whole, seems to be a hit or miss affair for a lot of boxes.
        But, it is nice if it works.

The OP's problem may be because his Toshiba P25 has passed out of the window of compatibility with the current collection of drivers packed with the installation ISO. The term "Integrated 802.11 a/b Wireless LAN" is so general that several broadcom drivers (4322 and 4333 for example) pop up, as do some RTL8192 types, but a google search doesn't pin down any specific drivver that could be associated with the designation given. That's why I suggested a USB 2.0 wifi stick (2.0 because I doubt that the P25 has a 3.0 USB port).
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

lspci should give you the info you need. I like inxi though

$ inxi -N
          Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k
          Card-2: Broadcom NetLink BCM57785 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3

If you've got a Broadcom WiFi card then my sympathies. Last one I had required using a program called fwcutter to extract the "firmware" (which is rather soft) out of the Windows driver. Only other option was actually using the Windows driver under Linux via NDISwrapper (equally unpleasant.)

Comment

Working...
          X