This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Floppy Drive Constantly Seeks

I bought a USB floppy drive (Sabrent, FL-UDRV). When plugged in, dmesg reports it as a TEAC and assigns it to /dev/sdc. When a floppy is inserted, a link shows up in /media, and I can read the file list in Dolphin. The problem is after ejecting a floppy disk, the drive continues to "seek". It's an inexpensive drive I got from Newegg, but I don't think it should be in constant "seek" mode and I would hate jusy wear it out. Any thoughts on what might be happening?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Not all USB Floppy Drives are created equal, nor are all USB Floppy Drives truthful in the identification of manufacture. I know.

I originally had a 'genuine' TEAC USB Floppy drive, which worked flawlessly. My dad had need for one, so I gave it to him. I purchased a Sabrent USB Floppy from Amazon. It was a piece of crap. Returned it almost immediately and purchased another USB Floppy from a local computer repair shop I trust. It was more expensive, but it worked like the TEAC I gave to my dad.

I don't remember the manufacture of this floppy drive, but here is the manufacture info on the back.
    Attached Files
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

O.K., thanks. I was hoping it was just some tweak I could do in a udev rule or something. I'll start looking around for a "real" drive. Other than the constant seek, it seemed to work fine. Fortunately, my old floppies are still in good condition, just want to copy the files off to something more modern.

Thanks again - will mark this resolved.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
      X