This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing 14.4 on SUN X4100, no video out

Currently having problems installing kubuntu 14.4 on a SUN X4100 server. It has an ATI rage XL graphics chip built in. The issue I am having is that when the system is booted from the install CD I get no video out, all I get is a message saying that the video mode is unsupported, do not even see the config part of the install. The last supported version of kubuntu is 12.4. How do I boot the system so that I can set the video to a supported mode to install the OS.
    Best regards.
    LEO.

When the livecd/drive first loads, there should be a small keyboard-looking logo at the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	live_cd_maverick1.png
Views:	1
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	642755
    Hit any key, and you will see various boot options. iirc f4 will bring up different modes, and you will want to try 'vesa' if it is available.

It does look from a cursory search that your card may not easily work with modern distros as the the mach64 driver the card uses does not see much love these days.

Of course, the other option is to install the sever version of Ubuntu (text mode install) and then try and see if xorg will work once it that is installed.

Comment

Working...
    X