This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Status of HDAPSD Kbuntu 14.04

I was wondering on what I should or should not install I search synaptic and found HDAPSD version 1;20090401-2 which recommended the tp-smapi-dkms source. I read that older kernnals need more configuration is that still true with Kubuntu 14.04 kernel 3.13.0-43? I have not installed anything as yet.

ThinkWiki can sometimes help with these kinds of questions.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/HDAPS

Comment

Thanks Steve

Is HDASP just for disk protection if I dropped my laptop? This is what I am understanding. but it seems there is more to it.

From just looking at the site has things everywhere so I need to dig. I have been thinking that if this was so important to have installed than Ubuntu would have had the current version on the package installers. but instead they have a much older version that does not seem to even work correctly from what I have read. I am not sure anymore if I even need it. How many of Linux users install this? Thing is I do not know how to perform some of the tasks that the thinkwiki asks for in the command line like creating a directory. I am really a shell noob I even read and owned a book once still am not great at it. Maybe this time I will get more educated. but if i work on this I can learn at the same time as long as I do not break my system doing this

Comment

"The driver only enables reading of the acceleration data. It does not perform automatic disk head parking."

You are aware of this, yes? Is your laptop an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad or an Apple iBook/Powerbook?
        Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 21, 2014, 03:46 PM.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I know I need a patch of some sort for the disk protection. Laptop is a IBM T500 the think is the kernel that i am use now is 3.13.0-43 and I see nothing that tell me how to install this on this kernel. this is why I thinking I will put this on the wait list. This part here worries me below. I am sure once I do this I will break something.

ATTENTION!
          Letting a program bind to these joystick devices can cause surprising results if you are not aware of it. e.g.: mplayer can act quite strangely. Also, letting a program bind to the second joystick device from enhanced HDAPS is guaranteed to be trouble
          Last edited by Guest; Dec 22, 2014, 01:05 PM. Reason: spell checking

Comment

I'm guessing that since the driver activates the built-in accelerometer in the laptop, you could use that for a variety of things. Including, perhaps, binding some other device to the accelerometer via the joystick device. That section of the wiki lacks sufficient detail to fully understand what's going on, though.

Comment

Working...
            X