Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

frustrated! I know I'm being a pest but why can I not get answers for touch screens

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frustrated! I know I'm being a pest but why can I not get answers for touch screens

I am floundering in a sea of skimpy, illusive and out of date information in regards to touch screen monitors. If I search say linux touchscreen 2014 or trusty tahr I get results from way back but no up to date good info and nothing on trusty tahr. Why is this and why does each distro not give support on issues such as touchscreens? It is a disappointment and a put off for any new person to linux. I have been trawling the web for 3 weeks now on several distro forums and so far I have some info on ginn, touchegg and best so far easystroke. However I can't get any howtos for ginn and touchegg or whether I need them for multi touch functions.

Perhaps there aren't any of us in here with touchscreen hardware, or hardware that does not work - hence the lack of responses
    Unfortunately, creating multiple posts on the subject won't change that.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Perhaps there aren't any of us in here with touchscreen hardware, or hardware that does not work - hence the lack of responses
      Unfortunately, creating multiple posts on the subject won't change that.
      At least I got a reply this time, albeit not too constructive.

Comment

http://ericheickmeyer.com/2014/09/27...creen-support/

Comment

Interesting read, makes a difference from all the fancy youtube videos showing off touchscreens in linux. A fact I am finding out myself. It is a pity though that linux is that far behind although I don't know what the experience is like with other os systems. I am not really a fan of unity and like kde better so I hope that touchscreen support is coming. At the moment I am using easystrokes which I find pretty good.

Comment

as frustrated as you may feel it all comes down to popularity,
            there may be only a few people here who actually attempted a touch screen, thus unable to share their experiences, so in this case you're it

i have read on Redit that unity works with touchscreens, i hate unity myself, it's down right ridiculous, but it might be your best bet. and not that big a price to pay as you can modify it to your liking... possibly make better use of all that junk on the desktop with your touch screen.
            also, a quick google showed Plasma Active as something you might be looking for http://plasma-active.org/#prettyPhoto (dont blame me if its not)
            K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

I have tried unity, dont like it and touchscreen support was nothing to write home about. Much prefer kde and at the moment I am quite contented with kde and easystroke. I have tried to install ubuntu unicorn on another partition but couldn't, very buggy. I installed kubuntu 14.10 on seperate partition to try, my it boots quick. There is a little touchscreen support but I haven't fiddled with it much yet. So along with easystroke I would be happy with 14.10. Another thing about 14.10, you can have either a normal desktop or a netbook desktop, cool, the latter being kind of a tablet desktop. At the moment there's also ginn and touchegg but I find them a bit buggy but I can not find much documentation about them. Anyway for beginners easystroke is the way to go in linux. However I would be glad to be corrected there. Anyone know of good documentation or a gui for ginn or touchegg? Oh yes I tried to install plasma 5 but couldn't for some reason.
              I would also like to say that touchsceens will be the way to go and will be popular and also very very handy if you have trouble handling a mouse or keyboard. And finally can I just add that I find the timeout on this forum very annoying since it does not even allow you to write a thread or reply without session timing out and you have to log in again.

Comment

leonk5, as has been pointed out to me by Snowhog, when you log in, see the check box for Remember me (under your user name)? Check it, and you'll remain logged in.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

yea. check your settings here.

i dont think ive ever timed out here.
                  K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

thanks did that and I am still logged in.

Comment

Working...
                    X