Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still no suspend/hibernate from within KDE, though iit works everywhere else...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no suspend/hibernate from within KDE, though iit works everywhere else...

I can suspend with "sudo pm-suspend". I can suspend from lightdm. I can suspend from Gnome-Shell. My (two) computers are working fine, I think. But I haven't been able to suspend from within KDE (the K-Menu, "leave" menu and any other bit of GUI concerned with power management) since... well, since either *buntu 13.10 or an earlier version of KDE itself. I'm using the standard repositories, no KDE-related PPAs, no third party upower release.

This affects both my Intel-based EeePC 1215 N and my AMD-based "big one". I can live with it on the desktop, because I don't really mind using Gnome-Shell instead, but Gnome-Shell on the netbook is just too sluggish to be much fun.

I don't know if this is related, but upower -d sez,
    daemon-version: 0.9.23
    can-suspend: no
    can-hibernate: no

Is anyone else dealing with this? I filed a bug a while ago, but I haven't seen any progress or suggestions so far...

At here: new installation the suspend is working.

:~$ upower -d
    Daemon:
    can-suspend: yes
    can-hibernate: no
    The hibernate can be enabled: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-docs/+bug/1232814

After this:

:~$ upower -d
    Daemon:
    can-suspend: yes
    can-hibernate: yes
    and the Kickoff has:

A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Well, not here...

Comment

Are your installations new or upgraded from the earlier versions ?

What happens when you click the sleep (suspend) button ?
        Any error messages ?
        Have looked the log files ? (~/.cache/upstart/startkde.log)
        A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
        Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Thanks for your help.

One installation is fresh. The other was probably upgraded from 13.10.

There's no sleep button or suspend-to-RAM/-disk option anywhere in KDE, unless you count the login screen (lightdm-kde-greeter). Likewise the option to automatically suspend/hibernate the computer are gone from the power management settings.

startkde.log:

kwin(18626) KWin::Workspace::updateClientArea: screens: 1 desktops: 1
          kwin(18626) KWin::Workspace::updateClientArea: Done.
          Object::disconnect: Unexpected null parameter
          Object::disconnect: Unexpected null parameter
          Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:evice::Changed()
          kded(18600)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
          plasma-desktop(18633)/plasma StatusNotifierItemSource::refreshCallback: DBusMenu disabled for this application
          Last edited by Snowhog; May 03, 2014, 10:43 AM.

Comment

What do the following output in a konsole?
            Code:
            qdbus org.freedesktop.PowerManagement /org/freedesktop/PowerManagement org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.CanHibernate
            qdbus org.freedesktop.PowerManagement /org/freedesktop/PowerManagement org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.CanSuspend
            If they say "true", then try the following commands
            Code:
            qdbus org.freedesktop.PowerManagement /org/freedesktop/PowerManagement org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Hibernate
            qdbus org.freedesktop.PowerManagement /org/freedesktop/PowerManagement org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Suspend
            If they work, you can create your own short cut, widget or menu item that runs the above. I create an item in the K menu editor (mostly because it's old and I know it, right click the K menu button and select Edit Applications), then find it in the menu and drag it to my panel. Just set the command to the qdbus command above.

On my desktop, hibernation works, (I vaguely remember having to enable it by editing some Ubuntu config) but video performance develops a lag which increases every time I hibernate. Suspend to RAM most often worked, but sometimes it didn't, requiring a hard reset, so I don't do that.

Regards, John Little
            Regards, John Little

Comment

The qdbus commands/queries both say "false". Still suspend and hibernate both work in other DEs, and used to work in pre-Trusty KDE as well. I know hibernate needs to be enabled and have successfully done so before. I suppose I could tweak something about pm-suspend and pm-hibernate so that they work without a password, not sure... I'd rather have a fully functional KDE; never really felt great about adding on workarounds.

Comment

Okay, it seems a clean install of Kubuntu (mind the "K") 14.04 does not suffer from this problem.

Fresh Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 installations that had KDE added later: can be fixed by manually installing pm-utils (how I never noticed it wasn't there is beyond me)

14.04 installations upgraded from 13.10: have always had pm-utils installed; nonetheless, KDE can't suspend

Fresh Kubuntu 14.04 installations: come with pm-utils preinstalled, and KDE can suspend

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by abalone View Post
                    Okay, it seems a clean install of Kubuntu (mind the "K") 14.04 does not suffer from this problem. ...
                    Maybe... maybe not. I was running a fresh install of Kubuntu 14.04 since its release and was sleeping every day (suspend to RAM); then some time in early July 2014 an update (sudo apt-get update / upgrade - I'm guessing was the culprit, since I haven't installed anything new) now has my computer (custom-built desktop) waking up after putting it to sleep. I'm pulling my hair out to figure out what it is, but nothing yet...

I don't want to re-install a fresh install, even though /home is on its own partition, for fear that something in the updates broke it for me.

Just my 2¢ worth...
                    i7-4770k / 16GB RAM / nVidia GTX760 / other stuff
                    main OS: Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS + SteamOS 1.0 (beta) + Windows 8.1 Pro (collecting dust)

Comment

Such problems can sometimes be solved by renaming ~/.kde, a new one will be created automagically.
                      If this doesn't solve the problem it's pretty easy to put back the original.

Comment

Working...
                      X