This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14.04 Fail

Hi everyone. I'm new to Linux (really last 6 months) and have suffered from an update situation.

First of all:

I have an Epson Printer Wf 2520 - that I simply cant get to work. I've downloaded what appear to be the right drivers and I can't get it to function. The closest I got was after clicking print the printer began printing endless blank pieces of paper. Weird.

Next my second monitor that I have setup as independant from the first - has lost the ability to utilise effect. I have no idea why.

Third - the virtual desktops seem to have a box with arrows that appear in the centre of the screen now. I can't turn them off.

Fourth - I can't get flash to work in chromium anymore

Fifth - vlc crashes

I know this must appear to be the kind of wine that deserves some seriously good cheese but can of the experts help a newbie out?

Kal

Ok! So posting on a forum is like going to the doctors - the symptoms of illness vanish almost as soon as you get in the surgery!

So here's what has happened - I did some more digging and found this for the problems with Desktop Effects:

1) Logout
    2) Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login
    3) sudo service lightdm stop
    4) rm ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
    5) cd /var/tmp
    6) sudo rm -r kdecache-*
    7) sudo reboot

This does work! I had to do a little fiddling post this (I had to update my nvidia driver) but all is well on the Desktop Effects front.

This also seems to have had the ffect of removing the boxes with arrows problem. #ftwno2

Finally I found the right driver for my specific printer (Epson WF-2520) here:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du...2d431d2515a5ff

I know this may all seem cretinous for you super linux users but us newbies have to start somewhere. Sometimes the self-shame prompts more action!

I've put my findings for anyone who is experincing the same problem.

The flash problem and vlc problem persist - I still would appreciate some help there!

Kal...out

Comment

For the flash problem you mighty try installing an html5 video extension. While flash isn't giving me any problems, the html5 player works better and faster.
      VLC hasn't given me any problems. You might try
      sudo apt-get purge vlc
      and then reinstalling it
      sudo apt-get intall vlc
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

For Flash, try installing the pepperflashplugin-nonfree.

Chromium/Chrome use their own version of Flash.

Comment

after you install the pepperflashplugin-nonfree package you will need to run the command
          use konsole to run it (there is no output when you return to the prompt its done)
          Code:
          sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install
          also be sure to restart your browser after you do this.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Heh!
            I think you are doing very well for a someone 'new' to Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              Heh!
              I think you are doing very well for a someone 'new' to Linux
              Thanks man!

Comment

Working...