This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound on HDMI TV and other HDMI issues

I have graphic card Nvidia GFX 550 Ti with HDMI output. It is connected to Panasonic Viera TV.
    In nVidia Server Settings I set to "clone" because TV and monitor have the same resolution (1920x1080).
    I have following issues:
    - when I turn on computer, login screen appears first on TV. I have to move my mouse then it appears on monitor and dissapears on TV.
    - screen on TV is cropped by 10-20 pixels on each edge
    - there is no sound on HDMI TV (I tested in Audio Hardware Setup, Sound Card GF116 High Definition Audio Controller, Digital Stereo (HDMI) output, I pressed Front Left and Front Right buttons, no sound)
    I tried installing alsa drivers from oem-audio-hda-daily-kms, no change. I tried graphic card driver nvidia-331-updates instead of reccomended. No change. Don't know what else to try.

I have the exact same setup (550 Ti to Panasonic Viera). Which driver are you using? The options for "clone" arent around in recent version, as far as I know. The driver should automatically detect your resolutions so theres no need to set it to clone. I think theres another setting called "twin" which should work better for you.

I also have the pixel crop issue, but have just gotten used to it. You could probably make your own xorg file to set a custom resolution. I set the desktop up on the TV so that this doesnt affect performance at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	640734

For your sound issues...

Have you tried adding additional audio channels to your pulse audio files?

In the file /etc/pulse/default.pa, add the bolded line:

Code:
    ### Load audio drivers statically
    ### (it's probably better to not load these drivers manually, but instead
    ### use module-udev-detect -- see below -- for doing this automatically)
    #load-module module-alsa-sink
    #load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
    #load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
    #load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
    #load-module module-null-sink
    #load-module module-pipe-sink
    [B]load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,7[/B]
    The numbers 1 and 7 refer to you card number and the device number. This guide shows you how to find which number combination works on your system.

Once you have found the right card and device and modified your /etc/pulse/default.pa file, you should be able to select the new channel in system settings.

You may also want to install plasma-widget-veromix to mak it easier to send audio to the right device.

Comment

On my travels I find all kinds of TV's in hotel rooms and many are literally a few pixels short of full 1920 HD.

For sound I generally get it working by checking a few channels in the PulseAudio mixer, you can find it in the repositories under the name pavucontrol.
      An other option is to add Veromixer to the system panel.

Comment

When you say pixel crop, do you mean the edge of your desktop lies outside the edge of the screen (what I've heard called overscan?)

Mine does this with my LCD TV and the nouveau driver, but I've sorted it out with a startup script. Let me know if that's what you mean and you want to know more.

Comment

whatthefunk: Thank you, it helped - and now I have sound on HDMI.
          GrezH: Yes, I think it's overscan, I would love to see your script.

Comment

OK, this is what I did...

First of all, open Konsole and type in the following 2 lines...

the red part of the following is the name Kubuntu has allocated to my TV. Yours may well be different, but you can find it out by looking at the Display and Monitor section in System Settings

xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --set underscan on &
            xrandr --output
            DVI-I-1 --set "underscan hborder" 40 --set "underscan vborder" 25

The numbers in the second line will need adjusting until you get the right size to fit your screen. With well-educated guesswork, it won't take long. Just keep retyping the second line and adjust the numbers each time.

When you get the right numbers, write a script file using Kate text editor. Here's mine....

#!/bin/bash
            #Overscan Compensation
            xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --set underscan on &
            xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --set "underscan hborder" 40 --set "underscan vborder" 25
            #Complete

Save to your home directory as OverscanComp.sh

Open Konsole again (should open in your home directory) and make the file executable by typing:

chown +x OverscanComp.sh

Finally, open System Settings from the main menu, Then open Startup and Shutdown (from the system administration menu at the bottom of the window).
            select "Autostart" (left hand side) and then hit the "Add Script..." button on the right. This throws up a dialogue box from where you can navigate to your Script file.

The next time Kubuntu starts up, it will run this script and your desktop will shrink to the size of your screen as if by magic!

Let me know how you get on!
            Last edited by GrezH; Apr 22, 2014, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I tried first command, but it doesn't work.

$ xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set underscan on &
              [1] 3464
              $ X Error of failed request: BadName (named color or font does not exist)
              Major opcode of failed request: 140 (RANDR)
              Minor opcode of failed request: 11 (RRQueryOutputProperty)
              Serial number of failed request: 33
              Current serial number in output stream: 33

[1]+ Exit 1 xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set underscan on

Comment

Sorry prosoor. I've never come across that before.

My only suggestion would be to check carefully the name of your TV (HDMI-0)

You probably need someone with a bit more expertise than me.

Comment

Working...
                X