Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspend/Hibernate buttons gone, brightness controls non-functional...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspend/Hibernate buttons gone, brightness controls non-functional...

Has anyone else lost the suspend and hibernate buttons in the various application launchers and other places? It seems KDE on both of my 14.04 machines is unaware that it could suspend/hibernate if it wanted to. "sudo pm-suspend" commands work, the LightDM power management options work, Gnome-Shell's power management options work -- just not KDE.

upower -d output on both computers suspiciously lacks the can-suspend and can-hibernate lines, although I've never looked at that before so I don't know if that's anything new.

Daemon:
    daemon-version: 0.99.0
    on-battery: no
    lid-is-closed: no
    lid-is-present: no
    is-docked: no
    critical-action: HybridSleep

I don't know when this happened -- about a month ago at least. I was hoping the situation would eventually resolve itself with another upgrade, but so far nothing's happened.

Also, and this may or may not be related in any way (I suspect not), my notebook doesn't have working brightness controls anymore. Now, the slider's there, the keys on the keyboard work, the OSD that pops up is there, but none of them do anything.

Edit: someone's filed a bug against upower for this problem, but it's unassigned (doesn't sound like a good sign) -- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1296133

Originally posted by abalone View Post
    daemon-version: 0.99.0
    That doesn't look right, the version of upower in the trusty repos is 0.9.23...is yours possibly from a ppa, 3rd party repo or manually installed?
    Code:
    upower --version
    Last edited by kubicle; Apr 16, 2014, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Turns out my upower was from the Gnome 3 Staging PPA! Anyway, I've started over with a fresh, PPA-less install. Still no suspend/hibernate in KDE. :/

Daemon:
      daemon-version: 0.9.23
      can-suspend: no
      can-hibernate: no
      on-battery: no
      on-low-battery: no
      lid-is-closed: no
      lid-is-present: no
      is-docked: no

Comment

Could be a lightdm and/or policykit bug, as I'm not seeing it (I use kdm)...

can you suspend from the lightdm login screen?
        does "sudo upower -d" give different results?

Comment

I can suspend from lightdm, from Gnome-Shell, and with sudo pm-suspend. sudo upower -d says exactly the same as non-sudo upower -d...

Edit: Oh, and I've tried lightdm, kdm, and gdm.
          Last edited by Guest; Apr 16, 2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abalone View Post
            Edit: Oh, and I've tried lightdm, kdm, and gdm.
            Well, that would rule out display manager involvement. Unfortunately I haven't been able reproduce, I'll let you know if can think of something.

Comment

On my thinkpad the brightness control is dependent on an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with the following content:

Section "Device"
              Identifier "Default Device"
              Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
              Option "NoLogo" "True"
              EndSection
              Since a few weeks this file gets renamed during xorg updates, naming it back to xorg.conf works for me and others.
              I believe this is a specific thinkpad and nVidia issue but you might have a look...

Comment

Working...
              X