This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Todays update rendered system useless

Im not sure what happened, but todays update (maybe yesterdays) made my system unbootable. When I booted this morning, my partitions didnt mount properly and I lost sudo ability. I fixed this in recovery mode and was able to boot. I tried updating and upgrading but half way through the upgrade process, dpkg failed. This was kind of a big upgrade with multiarch-support and I think a nvidia update included. Anyway, after dpkg failed, everything on my system started crashing and I was forced to reboot.

I booted into recovery mode and tried tried to resolve my dpkg problems but am getting debconf errors. Debconf is installed, but it cant seem to do anything. I tried reinstalling it, but this also requires debconf so Im in a bit of a catch 22. How can I resolve my dpkg issues and complete the upgrade process?

Recovery mode then:

Code:
    apt-get install -f
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    See https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post348826
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

apt-get if install gives the same errors.

E: Cannot get debconf version. Is debconf installed?
      debconf: apt-extracttemplates failed: No such file or directory
      dpkg: regarding .../libgcc1_1%3a4.9-20140406-ubuntu1_amd64.deb containing libgcc1:amd64, pre-dependency problem:
      libcc1 pre-depends on multiarch-support
      multiarch-support is unpacked, but has never been configured.

dpkg: error processing archive var/cache/apt/archives/libgcc1_1%3a4.9-20140406-ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
      pre-dependency problems - not installing libcc1:amd64
      I tried dpkg --configure -a but that doesnt solve anything.

Comment

go to ,,,,or cd to /var/cache/apt/archives/ and from in that folder try a "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" and see if it will complete the installation

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Same error comes up. I need to get multiarch-support configured but debconf wont do it.

Comment

I still have the hole upgrade yesterdays kde 4.13 in /var/cache/apt/archives/ ,,,,,would it help if I served it up for DL ....?

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

The problem is that libc6 depends on libgcc1. libgcc1 depends on multiarch-support. multiarch-support depends on libc6. libc6 and multiarch-support arent configured and libcc1 is not yet installed.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                I still have the hole upgrade yesterdays kde 4.13 in /var/cache/apt/archives/ ,,,,,would it help if I served it up for DL ....?

VINNY
                Thanks, but I dont know if that would resolve my issues. If I cant get this resolved by tomorrow, a fresh install is in order.

Comment

is libgcc1 in the /var/cache/apt/archives/ ,,,if so try installing it first with dpkg

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Yeah, I get an error similar to the one in post #3.

Comment

maby get the debconf from hear http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/all/debconf/download and install ??

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

You are starting to give me more grey hairs, as on Tuesday I will be heading off overseas from OZ to UK with my Trusty Laptop. So far it has been rock solid except for one minor glitch with q-dbus. When I have major problems that take more than 12 hours to resolve, I find it easier to do a reinstall as this can be done rather quickly. This is then followed by going down a list I keep of packages to install. This happens faster when you have access to a broadband network.

I certainly wish you every success in getting your system up and running ASAP. I am not as expert as others on this forum, but I cannot think of anything else you can do other than download the latest iso and reinstall. Just my worth.

Comment

Back to 13.10. Im beginning to think I had a faulty install of 14.04. I had a lot more problems than anybody else around. Ill be trying an distro upgrade once 14.04 is officially released and if that doesnt work, Ill make a new DVD and do another fresh install

Comment

Working...
                          X