This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apt 1.0 has landed in trusty

Now you can save your keyboard keys by using 'apt' instead of 'apt-get' (it's actually more than just that )

more info:
    http://mvogt.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/apt-1-0/
    (and of course, "man apt")
    Last edited by kubicle; Apr 10, 2014, 12:31 PM.

Nice little splash of color too.
    Slight difference in 'upgrade' between apt and apt-get if I am reading it rite. full-upgrade sounds better too.

I like that. But, do wonder if that caused the HAL effect that Rog132 posted.

Ken.
    Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

This looks handy to merge some of the commands but still need to use apt-get for autoremove, clean & autoclean.

Comment

Originally posted by lcorken View Post
        Slight difference in 'upgrade' between apt and apt-get if I am reading it rite.
        Yes, "apt upgrade" will upgrade packages that will need new dependencies to be installed (which "apt-get upgrade" doesn't), but won't remove anything (you'll need full-upgrade/dist-upgrade for those).

I like that. But, do wonder if that caused the HAL effect that Rog132 posted.
        I believe he was experiencing the issues before the apt upgrade.
        Last edited by kubicle; Apr 10, 2014, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin77 View Post
          This looks handy to merge some of the commands but still need to use apt-get for autoremove, clean & autoclean.
          It also doesn't support "changelog", "purge" or "--purge autoremove [autopurge]" (which I personally find quite useful).

I don't think the goal (at least in the short term) is to replace all apt/dpkg tools, just to provide a nicer front-end for the most commonly used functions.
          Last edited by kubicle; Apr 10, 2014, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Nice one @kubicle I am really liking the simplified list,search and show .

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Slight difference in 'upgrade' between apt and apt-get if I am reading it rite. full-upgrade sounds better too.
              When I first read the blog post, I had to ponder this one for a moment:
              upgrade: the same as apt-get dist-upgrade --with-new-pkgs

Uh, what's --with-new-pkgs? I've never seen that before. A search through the Git repository for APT shows that it arrived with version 0.9.12:
              Add new "apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs" option (and add man-page for it).
              So "apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs" will pull in new dependencies but
              never remove packages

Neat! It would seem that the differnce between using or omitting this command option is a middle ground between the apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade that we already know. apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs (or apt upgrade) will pull in new dependencies to satisfy any changed requirements of existing packages, whereas apt-get upgrade won't do that. Furthermore, apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs (or, again, apt upgrade) will not perform any upgrades to existing packages that require removal of other installed packages that don't have upgrade targets of their own. Granted, this is something of an edge case, but it's always nice to have more options.

Interestingly, Aptitude has had full-upgrade for some time now. It is equivalent to the old apt-get dist-upgrade. Aptitude's other upgrade option. safe-upgrade, is the equivalent of the new apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs (or, once again, apt upgrade). Nice to see that APT and Aptitude are converging.
              Last edited by SteveRiley; Apr 10, 2014, 10:50 PM. Reason: craziness with copy/pasta

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                apt-get dist-upgrade --with-new-pkgs
                The "--with-new-pkgs" option is meant to be used with "apt-get upgrade" not "apt-get dist-upgrade" (which sort of makes sense as dist-upgrade already installs new packages).

#apt-get dist-upgrade --with-new-pkgs == unknown option "--with-new-pkgs"
                #apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs == profit

Nevertheless, you nailed the description of the functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                  The "--with-new-pkgs" option is meant to be used with "apt-get upgrade" not "apt-get dist-upgrade"
                  Yeah, thanks for catching that. I had the wrong thing in my copy/pasta buffer and after a couple proofreads I overlooked the dist grrrrrrrrrr. Fixed my post.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    Yeah, thanks for catching that. I had the wrong thing in my copy/pasta buffer and after a couple proofreads I overlooked the dist grrrrrrrrrr. Fixed my post.
                    Easy mistake to make, Vogt made the same in his blog post

Comment

Oh wow, very nice. Makes running system updates a lot quicker. Subtle improvements are always the best.

Comment

I like the progressbar something I really missed from apt. I just hope we get some auto completion soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy.P View Post
                          I like the progressbar something I really missed from apt. I just hope we get some auto completion soon.
                          Do you mean for the new apt binary? (Because auto-completion works fine for apt-get in zsh and should work fine in bash if you have "bash-completion" installed.)

I'm sure someone will write auto-completion rules for the new apt binary eventually.

Comment

Yes i meant for the new apt binary.

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X