This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kerneloops in Trusty with vgaswitcheroo

I have a laptop with the problematic "hybrid" gpu of Intel/AMD, AMD 5450 to be more precise. Since version 11.10 (yes my laptop dates back to that..) the proprietary AMD drivers have not worked and I have relied on "vgaswitcheroo" to kill of the AMD gpu on boot. This so my laptop does not overheat and eat the battery alive.

In 13.10 kernel vgaswitcheroo did not work so I awaited 14.04. Now running beta I have the strange behaviour that vgaswitcheroo works on a clean install BUT after a kernel update or removal it stops working and I can do nothing to switch off the AMD gpu. Sadly the pathetic bios on this does not permit to switch it off that way or I would have done long time ago.

I have now tried install kernel 3.14 from mainline ppa, same thing there vgaswitcheroo dead. Installed kernel 3.12 from same ppa and to my surprise it works when I boot into that kernel.

Can others confirm there is a vgaswitcheroo problem in the Trusty kernel or am I having some very very hardwarerelated issue?

Kind regards
    Sinclair
Working...
X