This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ffmpeg, libav and programs using these

Ok... since my 12.04 install I've seen the message about ffmpeg being "deprecated" etc...

First.. I am not interested in the politics, squabbles, etc.... related to all this... I've read those sites...

I use programs that rely on ffmpeg, and ffmpeg itself to do things like convert formats, extract audio from files to MP3 etc...

What I am after is...the following:

What is the impact of having ffmpeg installed and NOT libav and the programs provided via official repo's and/or PPA's that rely on ffmpeg

Why? I am looking at using:

https://launchpad.net/~samrog131/+ar..._filter=trusty

To provide ffmpeg instead of using libav

Are programs via the official repos setup only to use libav, regardless of ffmpeg and ffmpgt-alternatives or does it matter which one is installed? ?

Let me reiterate.. I am not interested in the political or otherwise issues..I've read them elsewhere.. I am looking to find out what the fall out|repercussions of the choice of libav by Debian/Canoncial v. real ffmpeg and the software in the repos...v. using the real ffmpeg?

Thanks.

it depends what the programs that depend on ffmpeg/libav have been compiled to look for ....... you can have both the real/ffmpeg and libav on your system and your programs will use whatever thay are looking for ,,,,,, rog/samrog has posts hear on the subject ,,,,,his PPA you have linked to has lots of nice stuff in it

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...032#post348032

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

This is going to get nasty.....

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      it depends what the programs that depend on ffmpeg/libav have been compiled to look for ....... you can have both the real/ffmpeg and libav on your system and your programs will use whatever thay are looking for ,,,,,, rog/samrog has posts hear on the subject ,,,,,his PPA you have linked to has lots of nice stuff in it

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...032#post348032
      This is exactly what I was afraid of... this mess is going to lead to having to have tool sets installed because of this mess... :angry:

Which is exactly what I would prefer not to be the path needed... I would rather have ffmpeg.... urggghhh....

Sigggghhhh.. so both of these will need to be installed to ensure stuff works...... siggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

ummmmmmmmmmmm

Kubuntu will do "all of this" with no action needed by the user. Another is UltimateOS and Ultimate"whatever".

for OTHERS............

the "problem" is .......due to.........the inherent PHILOSOPHICAL decisons by the developers.. about THEIR........ applications,

And the POLITICAL decisions by people who have NO.......ABSOLUTELY NO connexion to the things being done "on the net"....

But................it is easily resolved....

just install all of the "stuff" that is involved in getting "stuff to work" OUTSIDE of the U.S. and...the deed is done.

POLITICS

and

BUSINESS....

cannot..........

cannot be subtracted from this topic....

but...

there are.......um............three ppas / or ......repositories......

when they are "enabled"...........

the situation is resolved.........

as of now..........

I can remember "back when" a "certain person.....who.........seldom posts here at Kubuntu......" who sent me...........as a GIFT...........

A GIFT..............

GIFT.............................

the actual .tars for the things mentioned above....

but even though certain major "forums" act as if this "does not exist".............. it still does...

THE UNITED STATES IS BEING FENCED OFF FROM THE REST OF THE WORLD.............

a) partly for "security reasons"
        b) mostly for ECONOMIC reasons to get VOTES...

AS OF NOW............

AS OF NOW............just download the ppas or the particular repos...and you are "copascetic"...

but do it quickly...

but.........if a certain administration actually DOES what it has says it will do...........

under "the cover" of "homeland security"...

then EVERYone in the U.S. is just screwed.

"Kubuntu" and "UltimateOS" and several others.......just provide the stuff and you do it "to it".........Viet Nam...

Others.......such as "pure Ubuntu" does NOT provide "this evil, capitalist, possible copyright/political/money problems" STUFF........

so that they can somehow get a "toe hold" in the United States... ECONOMICALLY....

and "the folks" are still getting screwed....

woodsmoke
        Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 31, 2014, 11:37 PM.
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
        X