X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KyMoney2 - PPA v. Official Repo Releases

From another thread I see that there is a PPA providing KMyMoney2

https://launchpad.net/~claydoh/+archive/kmymoney2-kde4

And via Synaptic I see there, is what appears to be the same version....

Online banking, meaning direct download of statement, transactions, bill pay etc. via OFX.. NOT QIF etc. downloads, that is "web banking," has been something I've forgone when I went to Linux.. pitty that I could do this on Managing Your Money in DOS w/Checkfree in the late 80's and early 90's.... anyway...

What is the difference between these two? ? ?

In 2014 I am making it a goal to finally get Online direct bank interaction working via KMyMoney if I can... it appears that Bank Of America is supported for my area...

I do recall earlier squabbles about one path provided direct OFX support, another didn't, thought this had been worked out...what ever the issue(s) is|was|were|are....

So is there a benefit of one v. the other with the emphasis I require direct OFX transaction, statement, bill pay etc.. to work.. plugin the info and go...

Thanks.

I'm not sure but you might want to ask this (also) in #kmymoney on IRC, or perhaps you could email to maintainer / owner of the PPA you are referring to. However, if they are the same version, then I assume they are the same version...

As for online banking support in KMyMOney, you may want to check here. Good luck.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

The cited PPA is maintained by our very own claydoh. I've been using KMyMoney from his PPA for a long time.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have the PPA to provide us with the latest KMM, usually the official repos become a version or more behind. Trusty has the latest already, so I don't actually have a package for it in there.

I cannot myself comment on how the online banking works these days, as I do not actually use a checking account anymore, but it did become a lot easier over the years when I did. KMyMoney has been around a Looong time, with online banking since at least 2005 or 04, at least in terms of OFX support. I first used this program back in 2002.

OFX is the main system used for online, direct-download banking these days, heck even Quicken's system and formats are now OFX based.
        Last edited by claydoh; Mar 31, 2014, 09:39 PM.

Comment

..and I must also add a big thanks to claydoh for maintaining the KMM PPA. I have been using it here for the past couple of years and its been great (...no more trying to run Quicken under wine! )

cheers,
          bill
          sigpic
          A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

ok claydoh..............

BRAVO FOR MAINAININg..............I'm all into "K stuff"....

I do VERY LITTLE WHICH IS ............Looking "back"....I look FORWARD.........

but I used Kmymoney when I was diving with disabled vets in the Bahamas last summer...

that was when a certain government agency took one third of my income from me....along with THOUSANDS of other part time college and SECONDARY and PRIMARY.....teachers. ...

But.............I used Kmymoney..... to take care of my finances.....

and LITERALLY TODAY...........FORTUNATELY........I just "lost" $128 bucks USD in income tax....

Kmymoney works............for keeping track of what happens .........."then".........to deal with the hard fist of the IRS now.

BUT I ALSO USE IT TO PROJECT what will happen next year.

I..........along with every other part time teacher in the U.S. will get it BIG TIME in the neck next year...

AFTER THE ELECTION....................

LAST YEAR...............the IRS..............

my taxes were........... X dollars.....

I had an CHALLENGE............last year........that is........2013..............

The IRS said that I owed.........

X dollars........

AND...

X.1 Dollars.....

THE IRS.........somehow, accidentally, DOUBLE ENTERED............ what I owed...........

if I had not...............................CONTESTED IT...

Using Kmmoney..............

and my local tax preparer.....

the "mistake" by the IRS........

hmmmm

what I owed

what I owed-1

I would have paid DOUBLE........

the IRS..........

with one piece of paper...

said...

oops...

How many MILLIONS of people............

have had an "oops"..........did not protest............

and paid the GUV............

1960's..............the very people NOW............

the very people NOW.............................

NOW..............

were "AGAINST" the "big guv"........

and now....................

note the particular administraion...........

somehow

accidentally

double billed my income tax.

and backed off............with .........one........small......protest............

which most people would just...........let ride.

woodsmoke.
            Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 31, 2014, 10:39 PM.
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Sorry, but google translate doesn't work on Woodsmokian dialects

I think I read that ok

Comment

lol you did oh great one!! lol

Kmymoney............does.........indeed work.............for "last year" and "next few years".........

.I lost HUGE in my investments..money that I was TOLD to move from a one quarter of a percent in a bank by a certain government group..........

to..........INVESTMENT.........

.....over the last four years.............fortunately for a " ANOTHER.......certain political party".........

I can kind of "write off".............over the next three years..........about half of the money I LOST due to a certain political decision.......

BUT..........when I walked in and sat down with my tax service............

I took last years mailing from them..........in a package..........

and my printout from Kmmoney...........

AND THE RECEIPTS.........and the W-2s and the HUGE LOSSS FROM CERTAIN POLITICAL Decisions.............

and the person said........

oh my......you are so organized!

all thanks to Kmymoney................even though it is off the radar from the people who are smarter than you and me.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Some of the woodsmoker's woodmoke-laden smokey posts make one potentially wonder if wood is all the woodsmoker partakes in when it comes to all things that are smoked by one who's moniker is teh Woodsmoker...
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

How much wood could a woodsmoke smoke if a woodsmoke could smoke wood??

My head hertz. All the dots.....

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      How much wood could a woodsmoke smoke if a woodsmoke could smoke wood??
                      lol, really, quite a chuckle, so apt.

Regards, John Little
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

ROTFL

But....Kmymoney does indeed work for taking care of what occurred before and projecting into the future...

I owed $905 to his royal highness and got a rebate of 850 from the state so, for somebody in the middle of the U.S. who clings to his guns, Bible and butter...not too bad off..

but Kmymoney worked for this redpopulistnecksmoke

http://www.cocospure.com/2012/03/28/...ipsybartender/

woodlongingtobeinthebahamassmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                        X