Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Behavior still apparent with kernel 3.13.0-22. This is a 32 bit install on a Dell Inspiron 1545 that is a few years old now. Install originally was a clean Beta 2 on 3/30.

Comment

same hear on
      Code:
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)                                                                                                        
      00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
      only Xrender will work

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'm not sure if I have the same thing. I upgraded to Kubuntu 14.04 several days ago, although I'm not sure what kernel this was. When I enabled OpenGL, KWin was crashing, then forcing me back to XRender. Sometimes it gave the error:

Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values.
        Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced options, especially changing the compositing type.
        Then, about two days ago (around the time I upgraded to kernel 3.13.0-22), it let me select OpenGL, but windows were all black (see screenshot below). However, after a restart, I could enable OpenGL.

This morning I upgraded again to kernel 3.13.0-23, and restarted. I had the black window bug again, but another immediate restart solved it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_at_20140406_10:38:21.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	640720

Comment

for me it is still the same (kwin crashing with GL) on the 3.13.0-23 kernel

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

For those still having problems, try the updated version of mesa from here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...99/comments/33

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin77 View Post
              For those still having problems, try the updated version of mesa from here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...99/comments/33
              That did it for me. Kwin functioning with kernel 3.13.0.23 on a 32 bit install on a Dell Inspiron 1545. Noted this on the launchpad bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin77 View Post
                Adding this PPA and updating / dist-upgrading allowed me to use OpenGL 2.0 (or lower; 3.1 still crashes KWin) again.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Adding this PPA and updating / dist-upgrading allowed me to use OpenGL 2.0 (or lower; 3.1 still crashes KWin) again.
                  KWin w/ OpenGL 3.1 working on this 32 bit install. Dell Inspiron 1545.

Comment

confirming,,,,,,,,@hear added the ppa:tjaalton/test,,,,,,,,,,,,, did a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" apt sead
                    Code:
                    The following packages will be upgraded:
                      libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-drivers libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libgles2-mesa libopenvg1-mesa libwayland-egl1-mesa libxatracker2 libxkbcommon0
                    11 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                    Need to get 7,848 kB of archives.
                    ran it ,,,,, restarted .
                    now no crash with GL-2.0 (Kinfocenter sead I am using GL-2.1 so I did not try the 3.0 selection )
                    all effects now work (at least the ones I use ,,)

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                    X