• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Application lock ups

Is anyone else experiencing lock ups when accessing:

System Settings > Multimedia > Audio and Video Settings

and

System Settings > Application and System Notifications > Manage Notifications > Applications Event source: KDE Workspace and trying to play a selected event sound?

This is happening on both my 32-bit and 64-bit installs. I have to use the ctrl+alt+esc (Kill) to kill the window, as they lock up.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

No problem here.

Comment

Not seeing it here.

It might be gstreamer related (If you use the gstreamer phonon backend...I think trusty moved to gstreamer 1.0), I use the vlc phonon backend

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
        Not seeing it here.

It might be gstreamer related (If you use the gstreamer phonon backend...I think trusty moved to gstreamer 1.0), I use the vlc phonon backend
        How can I change the backend if I can't get into the app?

Added:

Installed phonon-backend-vlc vlc on both laptops and then ran:
        Code:
        sudo kcmshell4 kcm_phonon
        (Added: Yes, I should have used kdesudo; I wasn't thinking. But, no harm done; I checked afterwards, and no root ownership changes made within my user home directory structure.)

and made VLC the preferred backend.

Added:
        Rebooted both laptops and the two apps no longer lock up when I access them. Cool. Thank you kubicle.
        Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 29, 2014, 04:35 PM.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          (Added: Yes, I should have used kdesudo; I wasn't thinking. But, no harm done; I checked afterwards, and no root ownership changes made within my user home directory structure.)
          Actually, you probably shouldn't have used sudo at all as that is a "per user setting", kdesudo would have changed root's backend (the fact that you used sudo probably made it work, because the $HOME environment varaible still points to the user's $HOME if you use sudo)...but you can simply run "kcmshell4 kcm_phonon" to change the backend for a user.

Anyway, glad you got it working.

Comment

Working...
          X