X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    Network/Internet:
    Updated network configuration and bonded my two ethernet ports. After restart, Network Manager failed to connect. This is not a surprise as port aggregation has never been supported by any network manager I am aware of. I purged KNetworkManager and manually configured resolv.conf by creating the "tail" file with my nameserver and domain. Next launch, all was well.
    This is interesting. Does "port aggregation" mean you use two Ethernet ports at once and it behaves a single connection?
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
      This is interesting. Does "port aggregation" mean you use two Ethernet ports at once and it behaves a single connection?
      Precisely. It has limitations, but in certain setups has benefits. In my case, both my server and my desktop have dual ethernet ports and they connect to the same switch so I use bonding to increase the transfer speed between these two PC's. Unfortunately, no other devices here have dual ports. It also works as a failure backup - if one port fails the other takes the whole load. I really only started doing it because I had the extra NICs. I doubt it's worth the investment to upgrade just to have it available. I suppose you could bond a wifi connection with a wired connection, but I suspect there'd be little improvement in the connection.
      Code:
      stuart@office:~$ ifconfig
      bond0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1d:60:d5:ee:3b  
                inet addr:192.168.1.199  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
                UP BROADCAST RUNNING MASTER MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
                RX packets:107054 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                TX packets:63915 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                collisions:0 txqueuelen:10000 
                RX bytes:124399336 (124.3 MB)  TX bytes:7214938 (7.2 MB)

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1d:60:d5:ee:3b  
                UP BROADCAST RUNNING SLAVE MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
                RX packets:53200 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                TX packets:31964 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                RX bytes:61793436 (61.7 MB)  TX bytes:3629205 (3.6 MB)
                Interrupt:18 

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1d:60:d5:ee:3b  
                UP BROADCAST RUNNING SLAVE MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
                RX packets:53854 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                TX packets:31951 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                RX bytes:62605900 (62.6 MB)  TX bytes:3585733 (3.5 MB)
                Interrupt:17 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
                inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
                UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
                RX packets:333 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                TX packets:333 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
                RX bytes:19929 (19.9 KB)  TX bytes:19929 (19.9 KB)

Please Read Me

Comment

I ran into a small problem on Trusty Tahr today. I installed my homestead app written in Qt and then installed qtcreator and qtsdk. My app compiled OK but wouldn't connect to the PostgreSQL database, claiming that "Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address". Installing iBus didn't help. When I switched to using qt5's dev tools I found that the include mappings for it were different than that for qt4. Include statements like #include <QDialog>, which compiled fine under qt4 had to be changed to "#include <QtWidgets/QDialog>" for context help to work and for the compiler to see them because a whole bunch of classes had been shifted to a QtWidgets directory. BUT, using qt5's qmake failed to include the QtWidget group of classes in the Makefiles. Adding them after the fact didn't help. Qt4 ran the User Interface Compiler (UIC) just fine, creating ui_form.h files just fine, but qt5 did. I could get qt4 to successfully compile a working binary by working on the cli in a Konsole, but it ran into the ibus problem. Qt5 wouldn't allow me to compile either with qtcreator or manually because of qmake's parsing of the qt classes failed to include important form widgets.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks Oshunluvr!

What are the best transfer rates to you get between them?
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I do think that for now baloo is way worse than nepomuk. I had excluded my home folder from being searched as suggested here at forums, nevertheless, recently fan gone crazy and temperature was near 90ºC! I've checked what process were running and I had eight (!) baloo file extractor processes running. Something is definetely not right.

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
              I do think that for now baloo is way worse than nepomuk. I had excluded my home folder from being searched as suggested here at forums, nevertheless, recently fan gone crazy and temperature was near 90ºC! I've checked what process were running and I had eight (!) baloo file extractor processes running. Something is definetely not right.
              In general I think that baloo is an improvement over nepomuk, but unfortunately the developer seems to repeat some of the same mistakes that nepomuk suffered from in it's early days (the baloo config dialog is a usability nightmare...if it's not the worst I have seen, it comes as a close second ).

If you want to disable baloo file indexing, edit .kde/share/config/baloofilerc
              Change "Indexing-Enabled" to "false"

Comment

I went to do this as you suggested, but tt seems that it was already disabled.

My file reads
                Code:
                [Basic Settings]
                Indexing-Enabled=false

[General]
                exclude filters=autom4te,*.rcore,CTestTestfile.cmake,*.o,*.omf,.hg,*.m4,*.orig,.obj,moc_*.cpp,conftest,.pch,.xsession-errors*,CMakeTmpQmake,*.tmp,qrc_*.cpp,po,.svn,.histfile.*,lzo,.bzr,.git,litmain.sh,cmake_install.cmake,CMakeFiles,*.pc,*.nvram,*.elc,*.la,.moc,CMakeCache.txt,confdefs.h,*.gmo,*.csproj,*.rej,config.status,lost+found,confstat,*.pyc,_darcs,CVS,.uic,*.part,libtool,*.aux,*.po,CMakeTmp,Makefile.am,*.lo,ui_*.h,*.loT,*~,*.moc,*.vm*,*.class,core-dumps
                exclude filters version=2
                exclude folders[$e]=$HOME/
                exclude mimetypes=
                first run=false
                folders[$e]=

Comment

Do you have your kde set to restore previous session on login (that might restore on login the baloo file extractor processes that were running at logout)?

The setting is in SystemSettings>Startup&Shutdown>Session
                  If so, you can try either of the following:
                  1. Make sure baloo file extractor processes are not running when you log out next (kill them if you need to), this should prevent them from appearing on subsequent sessions (since you have indexing disabled)
                  2. Change the session setting to "always start an empty session"
                  Last edited by kubicle; Apr 15, 2014, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                    Do you have your kde set to restore previous session on login (that might restore on login the baloo file extractor processes that were running at logout)?

The setting is in SystemSettings>Startup&Shutdown>Session
                    If so, you can try either of the following:
                    1. Make sure baloo file extractor processes are not running when you log out next (kill them if you need to), this should prevent them from appearing on subsequent sessions (since you have indexing disabled)
                    2. Change the session setting to "always start an empty session"
                    I'll try that, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X