This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Muon stable for anyone yet

Am trying to use stock Kubuntu programs so can test Kububtu as a whole & not fragmented bits. I find myself at the terminal or synaptic to do my daily updates, Muon crashes when selecting "check for updates" is this common or just my little issue?

Cheers Cary
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

We get a lot of reports here about Muon-related problems. It's been unmaintained for a while now, but I think someone else is planning to pick it up.

Personally, I trust only the command line for package management. apt-get and its kin report much more information than any GUI package manager ever will.

Comment

Must confess (& showing my age) but I miss adept. I use apt-get most of the time I administer a lot of Ubuntu servers, but it is good to be lazy & use a gui based package manager for searching for apps.
      The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Have you tried Apper?

Another alternative is Aptitude. It's curses-based, and when you learn its shortcuts, you can very quickly move up and down dependency trees. And now that Aptitude uses the same index files as APT, you can freely intermix using both tools.

Comment

I use Muon all the time for hunting up and installing apps ,,,,,,,,,,,updates/upgrades , CLI only ,,,,,,,,,,I have been reading people talking about Aptitude for years ,,,,,,,guess I'll take a look finally

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Take a little tour...

1. Start it up.

2. Press / to open the search field and enter konsole. The highlight bar will move to the package; press Enter to select it.

3. Observe the very handy list of dependencies.

4. Scroll down to one and press Enter. It expands to show the available versions. "p" means purged (not installed). "i" means installed.

5. Scroll to the installed version of the dependency and press Enter. Now you're looking at the info for that dependency package. Notice the breadcrumb trail in the third line at the top of the console window. Aptitude tracks your progress as you move up and down dependency trees.

6. Press q to go back up one level (to konsole). If you wish, scroll back up to the package name and press Enter to collapse the version list.

7. Scroll down to the section "Packages which depend on konsole (nnnn)" and press Enter. Observe the extremely handy list of Depends (hard dependencies), Suggests (suggested dependencies), and Recommends (recommended dependencies).

I love this tool. You can very quickly determine what's on your system and why it's there. No GUI package manager comes close to what you can do and discover with Aptitude.
            Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 07, 2014, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              We get a lot of reports here about Muon-related problems. It's been unmaintained for a while now, but I think someone else is planning to pick it up.
              Huh?!

Click image for larger version

Name:	muon.png
Views:	1
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	640601
              Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 07, 2014, 10:00 PM.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I must be in the minority then, but I use Muon on both my systems without any issues (including mass kde updates, etc.).

Side note, I did not know it wasn't being maintained any longer (I thought I just saw an update to it today on my laptop ).

EDIT : LOL... Snowhog beat me to it.
                Last edited by benny_fletch; Jan 07, 2014, 09:58 PM. Reason: update
                Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Unmaintained, perhaps temporarily as in the creator/main dev sort of quit it, (maybe?), but as can be seen from the changelogs and git commits for muon and qapt, it is still active.

Comment

One thing I like to do is add an additional grouping level -- by origin. Go to Options | Preferences and find "The default grouping method for package views." Add a pattern specifier for package origin between the two section specifiers:
                    Code:
                    task,status,section(subdirs,passthrough),[B]pattern(~O),[/B]section(topdir)
                    (That's a capital letter O, not the numeral zero.)

The result (look in the "kernel" section):

You can change the currently displayed grouping by pressing G. If you move pattern(~O) to the front...

...then the top-level grouping becomes the origin:

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to save multiple views in Aptitude's configuration file.
                    Last edited by SteveRiley; Jan 07, 2014, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      Unmaintained, perhaps temporarily as in the creator/main dev sort of quit it, (maybe?), but as can be seen from the changelogs and git commits for muon and qapt, it is still active.
                      Right, it had apparently gone unmaintained for a while:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux....l.kubuntu/7492

Glad to see that someone else has picked it up.

Comment

Take a little tour...

1. Start it up.

2. Press / to open the search field and enter konsole. The highlight bar will move to the package; press [b]Enter[b] to select it.

4. Scroll down to one and press [b]Enter[b]. It expands to show the available versions. "p" means purged (not installed). "i" means installed.

5. Scroll to the installed version of the dependency and press Enter. Now you're looking at the info for that dependency package. Notice the breadcrumb trail in the third line at the top of the console window. Aptitude tracks your progress as you move up and down dependency trees.

6. Press q to go back up one level (to konsole). If you wish, scroll back up to the package name and press Enter to collapse the version list.

7. Scroll down to the section "Packages which depend on konsole (nnnn)" and press Enter. Observe the extremely handy list of Depends (hard dependencies), Suggests (suggested dependencies), and Recommends (recommended dependencies).

I love this tool. You can very quickly determine what's on your system and why it's there. No GUI package manager comes close to what you can do and discover with Aptitude.
                        Awesome ,,,,,,my eyes hurt from reading the man page ,,,

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          Awesome ,,,,,,my eyes hurt from reading the man page ,,,
                          Yeah...in addition to the curses interface, Aptitude can take a bunch of command-line arguments and do much of the same stuff as apt-get and apt-cache.

Sorry for the Muon freakout there, guys. I should have been more accurate originally!

Comment

Right, it had apparently gone unmaintained for a while:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux....l.kubuntu/7492

Glad to see that someone else has picked it up.

The last message in that thread is rather telling

Comment

Take a little tour...

1. Start it up.

2. Press / to open the search field and enter konsole. The highlight bar will move to the package; press Enter to select it.

4. Scroll down to one and press Enter. It expands to show the available versions. "p" means purged (not installed). "i" means installed.

Very cool!

Thanks
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X