X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STRANGE installed HP6600 lost HP6p

Hi
    I WAS going to post a GLOWING report about how....this is the absolutely best way to say this...

Tahr "just found" the HP6600 and the DRIVERS...and it just ran...using the ...usb.....AND.... when the wireless function was enabled on the printer, the printer found my wireless network, accepted the password and then Tahr just found THAT!

It added in a driver for the fax function, but I do not have a phone line to hook into the machine.

However, there is another "problem" for the device in that it is color etc. etc. and the cartridges are expensive(even refilled) so I will only use it for greeting cards etc.

BUT..............and this is a BIG PROBLEM.............

My workhorse printer is the lowly HP Laserjet6P which is an lpt printer using a parallel port. It is only black and white, and works great for stuff that I have to print to phontocpy for school.

TWO things happened immediately.

I customarily restart the computer after installation of a printer for the OS to gather up it's skirts.

a) upon restart, the MS ergonomic, wireless, keyboard worked on the splash screen and allowed me to enter my password.

But then....when trying to enter the wallet password or type in Libre Office .........the wireless keyboard did not work, and it was not the battery.

After considerable consternation and replacement of batteries, I thought to add back in the usb cable into the HP 6600, which stops wireless printing(don't want it anyway), and the keyboard then worked! :0

AAANNNNDDDE...

b) The HPLaserjet 6P disappeared, I have re-installed it several times, but it just will not "stick" the only function, using the HPlip GUI does not recognize the appearance of the HPLaserjet 6P like it normally does, one has to go, manually, through a setup and then it does not stick in the normal setup function through Settings/printers, and does not even APPEAR in HPLIP gui.

Soooooo looking around on the net, it may be that CUPS messed up in some way, apparently, when one "thing" is loaded and another is loaded, the first thing disappears, and the CUPS folder has to have some lines completely removed by root.

Don't know......

c) I have NOT removed the HP 6600 driver and then attempted to re-install the LaserJet 6P.

d) The thing about the wireless keyboard not working may indicate that some kind of "ports" may have become mixed up, don't know.

The cut to the chase is that it seems as if this will be a GREAT PRINTER for Kubuntu/Ubuntu, but since I don't need it that much, I may need to return it, because the HP6p Laserjet is MUCH more important.

Any suggestions? I would really like to get both to work because if it does..........

I but the thing for $129 USD. a great bu, for a scanner, printer, fax etc.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 06, 2014, 08:25 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

WORKS: HP OfficeJet 6600 no setup

Ok glowing report !!!

I mean......GLOWING!!

FIRST MAIN IDEA....if you do not have a parallel printer hooked up, then I think THIS PRINTER WILL JUST AUTOMAGICALLY WORK!! GREAT JOB DEVS!!!!

++++++++++++++++

back to the original post problem:

THE CUT TO THE CHASE, is short story, I think that if the original LPT, parallel, Laserjet 6P had been hooked up and running WHEN I turned on the HP Officejet 6600 then MAYBE the original problem might not have happened.

If experienced people want to skip to the bottom so do.

++++++++++++++++

For others working through a similar problem.

I tried several commands that I found around the net but could not find anything that looked odd or that gave me a clue on how to modify a possible password problem, the "failed to perform request: not allowed to print".

So uninstalled the Officejet 6600 and started and stopped twice, with the usb cable to it removed.

Still could not get the Laserjet6P to stick.

So I tried the HPLIP GUI and there was a possibility to update drivers buried in it, so I did that.

It dropped to terminal and wanted a password, after that it said there were drivers that were either outdated or "not available"( some kind of mention of the distro being too new, sorry Idid not write down the particular phraseology .

Well, it did quite a bit of updating and took about twenty minutes, so if anyone does this be patient.

It finished, and that was it.

I then restarted twice and checked for a printer, all were disconnected, and no printers were present.

I then shut down the computer, plugged in the HP Laserjet 6P ( parallel ) and restarted. I then turned the printer on, but....hmmmm there was not a "new device detected" bubble.

So, I then went through System settings to try to install the driver.

There was no "pre-populated" printer displayed.

THAT, in and of itself, is unusual.

Previously, before I upgraded to Tahr, if I had a new install of Kubuntu, the distro found the printer and I then went through installing the driver. Not this time.

I had a thing called "manual URL" and then a variety of items appeared but ...............NOT ...........LTP !! :0

There was LPD/LPR... ok maybe new terminology.

so I went through it, and installed the HPCUPS 13.13.9 (it used to be 13.12.2 .

ummm didn't work, nothing...

ok so I restarted with the printer running and plugged in.

After restart I went to the System Settings printer setup and there was the "LPD/LPR" printer...............AND........... the correct LTP driver !!! :0\

WARNING............ the "paraport" driver which used to be suggested never worked for me.

Ok.... I chose that driver and.........it automagically appeared!

The "lpd/lpr" printer was there also and I removed it.

Ok....went to LibreOffice, and Calligra office and printed a test page in both.

Restarted TWICE and the printer stayed both times.

Then........... I went and got a rum 'n coke!

And.......... plugged the usb cable into the HP Officejet 6600 did not turn it on, restarted and the Laserjet 6P was still there tested with another sheet. worked.

Then with rum n' coke in the left hand, I gingerly pressed the on button for the HP Officejet 6600, it powered on, a very nice little "chime sound" and...........VOILA!!!

Popup window appears, the printer has been found!

I checked in System Settings / printer and BOTH WERE THERE, including the FAX but NOT THE WIRELESS....

I think that the whole problem with the parallel port LaserjetP was somehow involved with the use of the wireless function. Some kind of mixup of ports, and yes, I know that the port for the parallel printer defaults to 378 but....dunno maybe...

I tried a test page, it worked, restarted twice, and both times both printers were there.

SUMMARY:

Both printers now appear in System Settings / printers.

Both printers now appear in the HPLIP GUI and also the FAX machine.

WIRELESS DOES NOT..... according to the interactive display, I never have looked at "the physical manual" if the situation is that the USB cable is hooked up then wireless automatically is disabled.

++++++++++++

The ONLY caveat about the device itself.

When I saw it at the box store the outside of the box said that there are two cartridges: 932 and 933.

That is a bald faced LIE.

While standing in the store I used my smart phone to search for: "Hardware Compatibility List HP Deskjet 6600" and it said that the printer/scanner etc. is fully supported.

I then called the local cartridge refiller and asked him about it, because there is a real problem with some of the new ones, in that there are individual cartridges for the individual colours and that gets expensive in that when one ink reservoir goes it just stops.

The fellow said that they can, indeed refill the cartridges that there is a black and a color, but that they did not have any in stock at the time, that they would have to be filled while I was there.

BUT.......they are not two cartridges, there are three colour and one black in a "package".... that is dissasembled and then inserted individually.

THEY LIED....

Soooooooooooooo I am going to have to think about this a long time, I have thirty days to return the verdamft thing........... but, since it is just automagically found by Kubu and prints well, but SLOWLY, it may just be the easiest route to keep the thing.

+++++++++++++++

But for everybody else, and the developers of "Ubuntu/KDE/CUPS/HP(whoever released driver info)/Kubuntu......

I think this printer is a keeper for regular home office work.

If anyone has questions please ask or post comments.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Sorry addendum to pevious two posts:

Gimp scanning.

File/create/Sxane/device dialog.

Automagically found the scanner, identified it at the top of Xsane and scanned.

Printed with printer, did not test Gutenprint.

Again great job Devs of GIMP/Ubuntu/KDE/Kubuntu/Xsane/ anybody else.
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X