This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sufficient to run under VirtualBox?

I've never tested alpha OSes because I'm not wild about the idea of replacing an existing stable OS. I do important work on my computer. If I used a buggy OS and it kept crashing and interrupted my work, I would be extremely frustrated. It would remind me of my Windows 9x days, which I wish to never relive.

However, what about running Kubuntu 14.x under VirtualBox? I already run Windows 7 under VB. Is that sufficient for trying out an alpha OS? Or would VB introduce too many new problems to be able to effectively evaluate the OS?

The other idea would be to pick up some cheap old laptop at a pawn shop and test it on that. You can probably get an old Windows XP or Vista PC dirt cheap these days.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Yes you can. I have it installed in VB just for that purpose. Other than fancy desktop effects it runs just like an HD install.
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

Comment

Cool, thanks. Are you liking the new OS thus far?

Comment

Not easy to detect much difference from 13.10. I think it has elements that will eventually transition to Wayland. These elements are experimental in KDE 4.11.
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Always consider Occam's Razor
        Rich

Comment

What's Wayland?

Comment

A replacement for the X Window system, the 30-year-old technology that underpins graphical interfaces on Linux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylan...rver_protocol)

Comment

Working...
            X