X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost login, goes to unworking guest account

Well, a major snafu of some kind.

A neighbor needed a computer to work on for a while, won't get into why, and I created a guest account on my work machine.

Welllll what appeared was some kind of non-working Plasma GUI, but it does not render correctly. Bits and pieces appear sometimes in the general area but are non-workable.

The BAD part is that, for some reason, when I restart the machine, it automatically goes to the non-workable guest account, I really do NOT think that I ticked automatic login because I created a password for the account.

I cannot get to the button for login as different user, because I could then login as my normal account and get rid of the guest account.

With a restart the splash screen showing the different services starts the icons appear in order and then immediatly am dropped into the guest account.

So, any ideas as to how to get to the "my" account at some earlier stage of boot? I can do "ctrl-alt-del" and it will shut down. is there maybe a ctrl sequence that would drop me to the login screen?

What a mess!

yeah.... it is a beta test but I'd really like to get back to "me". Otherwise I'll have to do thw whole Knoppix thing and moving data to an external hd, lotta work.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Try ctrl-alt-F1. Then give your user account name and passwd to login and then a startx. That should get you to your user desktop.
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

Comment

hummm ctrl+alt+delete SHOULD have brought up the "log out,shut down,restart" dialogue if logged into an account ......

you can try a ctrl+alt+F6 and log in to the tty as you then do a startx this did gust work for me @hear ,,,,,,,,,as a test I stayed loged in on tty7 did the ctrl+alt+F6and loged in as my wife and did a startx and after some crazy vhold type screen scroling I got the desktop (hers) and right now I can switch back and forth between them with ctrl+alt+F6 & ctrl+alt+F7

VINNY

EDIT: @richb you beet me

Hummm EDIT2: her desk top is sitting on tty8 but the tty6 still has her text login and some crazy xorg loging stuff strange
      Last edited by vinnywright; Dec 16, 2013, 07:25 PM.
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm copying using Knoppix, love that OS! and will try the below.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

lol well, somehow I did it!
          And when I got the os back I went to users and disabled guest!
          thanks again!
          woodsmoke

a moderator could mark it solved, I can't find a tool to do that
          Last edited by woodsmoke; Dec 16, 2013, 10:51 PM.
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

What version of KNOPPIX?
            Years ago I ran KNOPPIX for several months. IIRC, version 3.0. It was when KDE was 3.x. I mentioned this before, on our old server: I opted to install an updated application. The application installation began by removing the current version of KDE and installing the newest version. I watched in trepidation as 285+ KDE apps were deleted, and 300+ were installed, followed by the app I wanted to install. That was the first time I witnessed a full KDE update. It went perfectly and KDE 3.whatever ran beautifully. Loved it!!.

A couple weeks later I decided to install another app and the same process took off. This time, however, it was a downgrade of KDE!!! When it was over, the KDE GUI was totally unusable. That's when I decided to try another distro.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi GG it is "Adrienne".

When i say that I love it, I do love it, in terms of what it is "intended" to do, but as a working OS on a day to day basis, no.... I actually tried that a coupla years ago.

It is........"heavy" as it were, and yes a lot of that is "appearance" which can be easily changed, but the "feel" of it is "heavy" also.

Again, great OS, and I love it for that which it so well does.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
              X