This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutdown fails intermittently

So glad to see this forum topic started. I certainly agree that this is a VERY STABLE pre-alpha release. woodsmoke and Buddlespit, I think that I was first to install Trusty as I posted this topic on the 27th November and at that stage I had been using it for about a week. From memory, I would have started on the 23rd November. So it is now just over 3 weeks and I haven't had any show stoppers. The only problem that is annoying me is the Shut down, which either happens in about a 1s or it doesn't Shut down at all and I have to resort to the power switch.

I have 2,173 packages installed and all of these come from the trusty repositories including Skype.
    Last edited by NoWorries; Dec 14, 2013, 09:27 PM.

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    The only problem that is annoying me is the Shut down, which either happens in about a 1s or it doesn't Shut down at all and I have to resort to the power switch.
    Didn't you hear? Shuttleworth won't let you turn off your PC anymore.

Maybe sudo poweroff would work?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Didn't you hear? Shuttleworth won't let you turn off your PC anymore.

Maybe sudo poweroff would work?
      Sounds a bit draconian. I tried poweroff but that still left a Kubuntu logo on the screen. I then tried
      Code:
      sudo poweroff now
      and that definitely turned the PC off.

All I need now is to change Shut down to do a poweroff now. It is some time ago that I ventured near this area, so I would like some guidance on how to do this. Would be much appreciated.

Comment

Daily Build, 64bit_AMD 15/12/13

dd'ed on 8gigs-usb stick, video card: NVidia GT 640, 14.04 starts to the try or install page, I chose the try option, ended with message (1 long line) regarding Nouveau, then I've got a black screen with a movable mouse courser on it. Repeated the boot process 3 times.
        Last edited by anamnesis; Dec 15, 2013, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Hmm... I didn't install it from a disk, I forced the upgrade thru sources.list by replacing "saucy" with "devel" on the ubuntu ppa's:
          Code:
          deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ devel main restricted universe multiverse
          deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ devel partner
          I imagine the same could be accomplished with:
          Code:
          sudo do-release-upgrade -d
          I should also point out that the original base system on this computer was Ubuntu Server 12.04 with Kubuntu desktop installed over it and the Kubuntu repo added to my sources.list. Then upgraded to 13.04 (when it was released as beta and I was still dual booting) and 13.10 (when it was released as beta).

And when I said "First", I knew I wasn't the first to install trusty. I was trying (and failing) to be first to open a thread in a new category. I've been in forums for years and I've never been the first to reply to a thread starter or the first thread starter (the little goals in life that can make you smile)
          I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Buddlespit

Now THAT is why I started the thread on the $49 tablet..........the spirit of adventure! The last time I tried that was Ubuntu Unity/ubuntu KDE. You are much more heroic than I!

And you SHOULD SMILE!! look at the responses!

woodtakesabackseatsmoke

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Sounds a bit draconian. I tried poweroff but that still left a Kubuntu logo on the screen. I then tried
              Code:
              sudo poweroff now
              and that definitely turned the PC off.

All I need now is to change Shut down to do a poweroff now. It is some time ago that I ventured near this area, so I would like some guidance on how to do this. Would be much appreciated.
              I have found a solution here to the Shut down. If our SABDFL doesn't want us to turn off our PC, then the Shut down should be removed as this then leaves the Sleep option for the dormant state. The current problems that I have had with Shut down is that the only option is to turn it off with the power button. The solution below, I have tested and the only Leave option that does not work is the Sleep mode.

I started Konsole and entered the following
              Code:
              cd /etc
              sudo ln -s rc.local /etc/rc0.d/S99.shutdown
              cd rc0.d
              sudo nano S99.shutdown
              I entered this command: sudo shutdown -h now
              Enter: Ctrl X to save the file
              The link command creates the file S99.shutdown and is the last in the list of files in rc0.d. Because the commands are execute in order this command is the last to execute. It is essential to make this file executable. As I don't do this very often, I "sudo Dolphin" and change the protection with the properties option on the file.

After I made these changes and Shut down, I had to use the power button. Since then it has never failed me to Shut down in about 2.5s on a Compaq Presario AIO PC.

I am sure that there are others who may find a more elegant solution or may find errors in what I have done. I look forward to being able to remove this link option.
              Last edited by NoWorries; Dec 16, 2013, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I moved this discussion to a new thread, appropriately titled.

Try this in a console window:
                Code:
                qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 0 2 2
                If you want a 30-second delay, change the 0 to a 1.

Does it work?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  I moved this discussion to a new thread, appropriately titled.

Try this in a console window:
                  Code:
                  qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 0 2 2
                  If you want a 30-second delay, change the 0 to a 1.

Does it work?
                  Firstly, thanks for changing this thread. What I get from this command is:
                  Code:
                  :~$ qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 0 2 2
                  qdbus: could not find a Qt installation of ''
                  I also added an sudo and this did not change the output. When I used Muon to list qt entries, I got a stack of installed packages. I have attached an example of the listing from using qt4
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by anamnesis View Post
                    Daily Build, 64bit_AMD 15/12/13

dd'ed on 8gigs-usb stick, video card: NVidia GT 640, 14.04 starts to the try or install page, I chose the try option, ended with message (1 long line) regarding Nouveau, then I've got a black screen with a movable mouse courser on it. Repeated the boot process 3 times.
                    For quite a few weeks I have been downloading a new iso for 14.04 and Try Kubuntu has never worked. I just get a black screen. You will find my experiences here. I ended up doing an install and it worked fine. It does sound risky, but I was prepared to take the chance. I would suggest that you give that option a go.

Comment

I also added an sudo and this did not change the output.
                      Don't do that -- qdbus needs to run in the context of the logged in user so that it can shut down KDE cleanly.

qdbus: could not find a Qt installation of ''
                      This is weird -- and I'm seeing a number odd bugs reporting similar behavior. On your machine, what's the output of
                      Code:
                      ll /usr/bin/qdbus

qtchooser -list-versions

ll /usr/share/qtchooser

dpkg -l | grep qdbus

Comment

Thanks for the extra information on what to do. I only added sudo because nothing happened without it. Now for the output you were wanting. Here it is:
                        Code:
                        :~$ ll /usr/bin/qdbus
                        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 17 21:06 /usr/bin/qdbus -> qtchooser*
                        :~$ qtchooser -list-versions
                        :~$ 
                        :~$ ll /usr/share/qtchooser
                        ls: cannot access /usr/share/qtchooser: No such file or directory
                        :~$ dpkg -l | grep qdbus
                        ii  qdbus                                 4:4.8.4+dfsg-0ubuntu22               amd64        Qt 4 D-Bus tool
                        I hope this gives you some insight into what is happening. I did try the command qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 0 2 2 on my 13.10 system and it gave the same output as the 14.04 system.

I am not sure if this helps you. But I did these commands on my Kubuntu 13.04 system and it gave esentially the same output, ie:
                        Code:
                        ~$ ll /usr/bin/qdbus
                        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 May  2  2013 /usr/bin/qdbus -> qtchooser*
                        :~$ qtchooser -list-versions
                        :~$ ll /usr/share/qtchooser
                        ls: cannot access /usr/share/qtchooser: No such file or directory
                        :~$ dpkg -l | grep qdbus
                        ii  qdbus                                 4:4.8.4+dfsg-0ubuntu14~ubuntu13.04~ppa1  amd64        Qt 4 D-Bus tool
                        Last edited by NoWorries; Dec 16, 2013, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Hm... a couple more items, please...
                          Code:
                          dpkg -l | grep qtchooser

dpkg -l | grep qt.-default

sudo updatedb && locate qtchooser
                          Something is missing or incorrectly packaged on your system. Or maybe I'm not interpreting forthcoming changes from Qt4 to Qt5 correctly. But your qdbus command is failing because QtChooser, while shown as installed in the screenshot you posted earlier, appears to be misconfigured.

Comment

Looks like a quiet determination to solve this on the other side of the Pacific. Well here is the result from Trusty:
                            Code:
                            :~$ dpkg -l | grep qtchooser
                            ii  qtchooser                             26-3ubuntu2                          amd64        Wrapper to select between Qt development binary versions
                            :~$ dpkg -l | grep qt.-default
                            :~$ sudo updatedb && locate qtchooser
                            [sudo] password: 
                            /usr/bin/qtchooser
                            /usr/share/doc/qtchooser
                            /usr/share/doc/qtchooser/README.Debian
                            /usr/share/doc/qtchooser/changelog.Debian.gz
                            /usr/share/doc/qtchooser/copyright
                            /usr/share/lintian/overrides/qtchooser
                            /usr/share/man/man1/qtchooser.1.gz
                            /var/lib/dpkg/info/qtchooser.list
                            /var/lib/dpkg/info/qtchooser.md5sums
                            Keep up your good work for this community!!!

Edit:
                            I always like to see what the results are for my current system 13.10 and I get:
                            Code:
                            ii  qtchooser                              26-3ubuntu2                              amd64        Wrapper to select between Qt development binary versions
                            [sudo] password: 
                            /usr/bin/qtchooser
                            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qtchooser
                            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qtchooser/5.conf
                            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qtchooser/qt5.conf
                            /usr/share/qtchooser
                            /usr/share/doc/qtchooser
                            /usr/share/qtchooser/qt5-x86_64-linux-gnu.conf
                            Last edited by NoWorries; Dec 17, 2013, 12:27 AM.

Comment

After looking at the results from my 13.10 system, I decided to check on the Qt5 packages and installed Qt5-default. This resulted in over 20 other packages being installed. So I repeated the commands that you suggested and now I get an output similar to my 13.10 system. The output is now
                              Code:
                              ii  qtchooser                             26-3ubuntu2                          amd64        Wrapper to select between Qt development binary versions
                              ii  qt5-default:amd64                     5.0.2+dfsg1-7ubuntu13                amd64        Qt 5 development defaults package
                              [sudo] password: 
                              /usr/bin/qtchooser
                              /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qtchooser
                              /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qtchooser/5.conf
                              /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qtchooser/default.conf
                              /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qtchooser/qt5.conf
                              /usr/share/qtchooser
                              /usr/share/doc/qtchooser
                              /usr/share/qtchooser/qt5-x86_64-linux-gnu.conf
                              After adding the Qt5-default and getting these results, I decided to remove the S99.shutdown file which was linked to rc.local. I just deleted S99.shutdown. I am not sure that this was the corrrect procedure for removing this link. Anyhow, my system then returned to the intermitted shut down, ie 5 attempts and the power switch used for 4.

I then reinstated the link and to my surprise the file S99.shutdown contained the shutdown text that I had entered previously. This makes me suspect that deleting the file may have caused an error in shutdown. My system is now reliably shutting down with the S99.shutdown file present.
                              Last edited by NoWorries; Dec 17, 2013, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X