Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how do I set Saucy Salamander to long term support?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how do I set Saucy Salamander to long term support?

On my Lenovo laptop I've set Saucy Salamander to long term support just to get it to stop bugging me to upgrade, at least for now. I do intend to upgrade pretty soon. However, I installed 13.10 on a little netbook and allowed the upgrade to 14.04, only to my peril. After the upgrade procedure runs, I only get a gray screen after logging into Kubuntu. On the little netbook I want to set Kubuntu to LTS and forget about it. I don't use that computer that much and therefore simply don't need the latest version. Plus, I want to take the Lenovo off LTS pretty soon here.

But I can't find whatever I did! It's essential that I find it. If I click on the update icon in the netbook, it starts the upgrade process immediately without offering to simply update 13.10 -- and it wrecks it again. For whatever reason, this little netbook does not like 14.04. It only has 1 GB of RAM. Maybe that's it, but I don't want to @#$% with it. The older version runs on it, so I want to just keep that.

Where is that command to put the OS on LTS?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Am I correct in that you want to keep the system from prompting you for an upgrade?
    The only way to get to LTS from 13.10 is to upgrade.

In Muon Package Manager - Configure Software Sources; or by
    Code:
    kdesudo software-properties-kde
    You can go in to the Updates tab and select when you want it to let you know when new versions are out - any new release, LTS only, or never.
    However, 14.04 is LTS, so it will ask you if you want to upgrade. You may have to set it to never, but I though that the popup offered a choice to not be reminded again (but it has been a while since I upgraded after final release )

Comment

yeah, if you right click the systray icon for the upgrade notification, you can choose Never Show Again. Not sure how long that lasts for, though tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Am I correct in that you want to keep the system from prompting you for an upgrade?
        The only way to get to LTS from 13.10 is to upgrade.

In Muon Package Manager - Configure Software Sources; or by
        Code:
        kdesudo software-properties-kde
        You can go in to the Updates tab and select when you want it to let you know when new versions are out - any new release, LTS only, or never.
        However, 14.04 is LTS, so it will ask you if you want to upgrade. You may have to set it to never, but I though that the popup offered a choice to not be reminded again (but it has been a while since I upgraded after final release )
        Yes, I essentially want to tell it, "Quit bugging me to upgrade." On my Lenovo, I did something in the GUI to make this happen. Now it only offers updates for 13.10 and doesn't bug me to upgrade. I should have documented what I did in my Linux tips Cherry Tree database. I'm kicking myself for not doing so.

In the Netbook: The Upgrade/Update button in the system tray gave me no choice once I clicked on it. It went straight into upgrading, which I was fine with the first time, except that the netbook wouldn't work when it was done.

In the Lenovo: The Upgrade/Udtate button did give me a choice after I clicked on it. There was then a button for upgrade and another one just for updates to 13.10 only. But then it did keep bugging me to upgrade until I found whatever it was in the GUI that shut off the upgrade nag.

Comment

right-click on the icon in the tray, or use the software-properties-kde GUI (also found in Muon as "Configure Software Sources") as I mentioned above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot333.png
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	640771

Comment

Change the setting in Muon:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Never.png
Views:	1
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	640772
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That worked.

Comment

Working...
              X