X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Best VoIP Client?

Hi,

What is the best VoIP client for Kubuntu?

J.K
    Kubuntu 14.04 x64 User

They pretty much all suck.

Comment

What about Yate?
      Kubuntu 14.04 x64 User

Comment

I am using Yate.
        For me it's OK, very basic, just works.

In the past I used Twinkle but development stopped and it no longer works.
        Last edited by Teunis; Apr 16, 2014, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Google Talk works. And if you have a webcam Google's Hangout is neat.
          My personal experience is that Ekiga does not work well, as usual. Skype works fine. If you want only voice or don't have a webcam just disable the camera. But, it's one on one and it's connected to a spy network.

A VoIP that a lot of people over look is Mumble, if all you want is an excellent voice connection to anyone on the planet who has access to a computer and can install Mumble. Several people can join in by logging into the same channel. My grandsons and I use it to communicate when we are playing Minecraft. You can create your own Mumble server so that only you and your friends can join a channel. It's all free. If you encrypt your ports...
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ah yes Mumble, and there is an Android version too

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
              They pretty much all suck.
              Alas, this is the truth.

SFLphone (with the KDE UI from their PPA) is the best-looking KDE client. Alas, my company's Avaya PBX refuses to acknolwedge DTMF after dialing. Without this, I cannot participate in conference calls, a major part of my job. Thus, I can't use this.

Yate kind of works, but every time I install it, something doesn't work right and I end up removing it. The details escape me.

Twinkle is a KDE3 application and is now so old it simply won't work on KDE4 anymore.

The SIP parts of Telepathy-KDE simply fail to work with the aforementioned Avaya PBX. I can't seem to coax the thing to generate any log files.

I've settled on Ekiga -- a Gtk app. I hate it, but it works reliably.

Comment

Working...
              X