This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte Aivia Osmium Keyboard [Caps and Number Lock] Fix

This topic should probably be a post for all versions of Kubuntu, but since I'm using Saucy, I posted here. I renently purchased the subject keyboard because it was built with Cherry Brown switches (mechanical high-quality). Anyway I expected some things not to work since it's installation procedure was designed for M$ Windoze and I was correct. Although the keys themselves function and activate their respective functions, the user has no indication lights so the user has to press a key to find out if the keyboard is set to CAPS Lock, and a number pad number to find out if the keyboard is set to Num Lock.

Well, it's not a problem anymore since I found and installed the "Lock Keys State (QML)" widget. It's wonderful. See attached screenshot of my system tray.

Here's how it works:

- user can press num lock or caps lock and the icons in the system tray will light.

- alternatively, the user can click on the NUM or CAPS icons in the system tray and those keys are activated, on the keyboard and the keyboard indicator lights illuminate like they should.

Until the Linux developers can figure out how to grab the caps lock and num lock commands directly (as well as the 5 macro command keys), this is the best solution I've been able to find.
    Attached Files
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Perfect! Thanks for that lead!

Comment

Hey MoonRise, I just figured out that if you configure KDE to boot up with Number Lock on, it will now with both the widget and keyboard num lock illuminated. I could never get the system to boot with num lock on until I installed the widget. Later.
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Thanks for the tip about "Lock Keys State (QML)" widget. I just realized yesterday that my caps lock wasn't working (MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard). I assume that is a result of a recent update. Capslock isn't a function I use often, so I don't know how long it has been 'disabled' or by which update (Trusty). The key works fine in Windows. The numlock on boot has remained functional, but the indicator in the system tray will be very useful at least until Trusty is further along in development.
        Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2 View Post
          Hey MoonRise, I just figured out that if you configure KDE to boot up with Number Lock on, it will now with both the widget and keyboard num lock illuminated. I could never get the system to boot with num lock on until I installed the widget. Later.
          Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X