This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

conky and vim issues

I have a massive number of questions since getting my new laptop, and am rather apprehensive about posting them, so I thought I'd just start with the 2 things that are annoying me the most:

- I installed conky, but haven't been able to get it working. If I run 'conky' in terminal, it prints out exactly what I'm expecting to see (I have my custom .conkyrc file and it's working). However, I can't seem to get Conky to show on the desktop at all. I never had any trouble with this back when I used it on my VMs (both Raring and Saucy were fine).

- Gvim's menubar is mysteriously missing. I installed it on my Raring VM recently and the menubar was there. But on the new laptop, there's only the toolbar and I can't see any way to show the menu.

Google hasn't helped me with any of these issues.
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

I use Kate to edit my .conkyrc. Does gvim have gnome dependencies?

The conkyrc is in my home directory. In System Settings --> Workspace Behavior --> Virtual Desktops I have Different widgets for each desktop checked.

Here is my conkyrc. Note the own_window settings.
    Code:
    background yes
    use_xft yes
    xftfont Sans:size=8
    xftalpha 1
    update_interval 5.0
    total_run_times 0
    own_window yes
    own_window_transparent yes
    own_window_type normal
    own_window_argb_visual yes
    own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
    double_buffer yes
    minimum_size 200 200
    maximum_width 200
    draw_shades no
    draw_outline no
    draw_borders no
    draw_graph_borders no
    default_color white
    default_shade_color black
    default_outline_color white
    alignment top_right
    gap_x 12
    gap_y 42
    no_buffers yes
    uppercase no
    cpu_avg_samples 2
    override_utf8_locale no

TEXT
    ${color E6E6FA} ${font :size=30}$alignc${time %H:%Mh}
    ${voffset -30}${font :bold:size=10}$alignc${time %d %b. %Y}
    ${font :bold:size=8}$alignc${time %A}

${color E6E6FA}${font courier:bold}${execpi 60 DJS=`date +%_d`; cal -h | sed s/"\(^\|[^0-9]\)$DJS"'\b'/'\1${color #00FFFF}'"$DJS"'${color E6E6FA}'/}

${voffset -28}${color CCFFFF}${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}SYSTEM ${color 00FF7F}${hr 2}
    ${color FFFAFA}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}$sysname $kernel $alignr ${color FFE4E1}$machine
    ${color FFFAFA}Host:${color FFE4E1}$alignr$nodename
    ${color FFFAFA}Uptime:${color FFE4E1}$alignr$uptime_short
    ${color FFFAFA}File System: ${color FFE4E1}$alignr${fs_type}
    ${color FFFAFA}Load: ${color FFE4E1}${alignr}${loadavg 1}, ${loadavg 2}, ${loadavg 3}

${color CCFFFF}${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}PROCESSOR ${color 00FF7F}${hr 2}
    ${color 000000}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}${cpugraph 0000FF FF0000 -t}
    ${voffset -28}${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}${color FFFAFA}CPU: ${alignr}${color FFFAFA}${cpu cpu0}%

${color CCFFFF}${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}MEMORY ${color 00FF7F}${hr 2}
    ${color FFFAFA}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}RAM ${color Ivory}$alignc $mem / $memmax ${color FFFAFA}$alignr $memperc%
    ${color B8B8C8}$membar

${color CCFFFF}${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}DISKS ${color 00FF7F}${hr 2}
    ${color FFE4E1}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}FileSystem: ${color Ivory}$alignc ${fs_used /} / ${fs_size /} ${color white}$alignr ${fs_used_perc /}%
    ${color B8B8C8}${fs_bar /}
    ${color FFE4E1}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}FileSystem: ${color Ivory}$alignc ${fs_used /home} / ${fs_size /home} ${color white}$alignr ${fs_used_perc /home}%
    ${color B8B8C8}${fs_bar /home}

${color CCFFFF}${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}TOP PROCESSES ${color 00FF7F}${hr 2}
    ${color FFFAFA}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}${top name 1}${color FFE4E1}${alignr}${top cpu 1} %
    ${color Ivory}${top name 2}${color FFE4E1}${alignr}${top cpu 2} %
    ${color Ivory}$font${top name 3}${color FFE4E1}${alignr}${top cpu 3} %
    ${color Ivory}$font${top name 4}${color FFE4E1}${alignr}${top cpu 4} %
    ${color Ivory}$font${top name 5}${color FFE4E1}${alignr}${top cpu 5} %

${color CCFFFF}${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}NETWORK ${color 00FF7F}${hr 2}
    ${color Ivory}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}IP NAT: ${color FFE4E1}$alignr ${addr eth0}
    ${color Ivory}Download:${color FFE4E1}${downspeedf eth0} kB/s${alignr}${color Ivory}Upload:${color FFE4E1}${upspeedf eth0} kB/s
    ${color 001000}${downspeedgraph eth0 26,95 003C3D 7FFF00 -t}${offset 10}${color 001000}${upspeedgraph eth0 26,95 FF4500 FFC700 -t}
    sigpic

Comment

I am using exactly the same conkyrc that worked on the VM. It looks similar to yours, and has the same own_window settings.

It turns out I had the wrong version of vim installed - for reference: http://askubuntu.com/questions/33260...-and-vim-gnome
      The menubar is back now!
      "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

I'm glad you were able to resolve it.
        sigpic

Comment

no luck with conky though

Comment

What do you get if you type this in a terminal?
            Code:
            conky &
            This is what I get. (With the ampersand "&" conky runs in the background. I press the enter key, the output on the screen is "[1]+ Done conky", and I get my command prompt back. Conky displays on my desktop and I can exit the terminal session without closing conky.)
            Code:
            life0riley@kubuntu-desktop:~$ conky &
            [1] 11050
            life0riley@kubuntu-desktop:~$ Conky: forked to background, pid is 11051

Conky: desktop window (22001c7) is subwindow of root window (293)
            Conky: window type - normal
            Conky: drawing to created window (0x5200002)
            Conky: drawing to double buffer

[1]+  Done                    conky
            life0riley@kubuntu-desktop:~$
            sigpic

Comment

When I run "conky &" it just outputs to the terminal, as before. I hit Ctrl-C and held it down, and briefly saw the 'done' message you described, but then immediately afterward it resumed as before. Here's a screenshot of what I see:
              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/attach...1&d=1393886338
              Attached Files

Comment

How did you install conky?

This is how I installed conky from the terminal.
                Code:
                $ sudo apt-get install conky-all
                sigpic

Comment

haha, oops. I installed 'conky', not 'conky-all', so I guess some dependencies must have been missing! It works now. Thanks

Comment

You are welcome! Glad you got it working.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X