This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

different versions of kde core programs

I am trying to upgrade from 13.10 -> 14.04 (yes I know it's still development) but I have run into a small (major) problem. Most of the kde packages on my 13.10 system (which does have the kubuntu backports repository enabled) are at 4.12, but several, including kde-workspace, kdebase-bin, etc., are still at 4.11. The upgrade is threatening to remove them.
    Do others have this same situation on their systems? kdm is also 4.11 (yes I still use kdm) but it is not subject to removal.
    Are these older versions of kde stuff no longer being used, or is there a way to get them in sync?
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

I didn't have this problem upgrading, which I did last week sometime, I do not recall any package removals that seemed out off the norm. I used the "do-release-upgrade -d" method, which disables ppa's and other mysterious, magical things before doing the upgrade.

The backports repo is immaterial here, as there are no Trusty packages there yet (until 14.10 work begins, and KDE bits are backported from there)

The removal of packages may be a (hopefully temporary) packaging glitch, perhaps a bug report on Launchpad might be warranted.

The mix of KDE 4.11 and 4.12 packages is actually accurate, as not every single part of KDE saw updates.

UPDATE

kdebase-bin, from the package description, is now a transitional package, replaced by kde-baseapps
    This does not account for kde-workspace, however.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I guess the best thing to do is fire away and see what happens. It's a separate partition, so if it doesn't work it can always be wiped and done over later.

Edit: Actually there are a bunch of kde-git packages in the one or another of the trusty kubuntu repositories. Might be best to disable those before doing the upgrade, one way or another.
      Last edited by doctordruidphd; Feb 25, 2014, 08:22 AM.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
      X