This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant open terminal to change local settings

I added a new startup process which my system doesnt seem to like. When the desktop loads, the startup process fails and then I cant open anything except Firefox. I need to be able to either open a terminal, open Kate, or open System Settings so I can delete the new process. I tried recovery mode, but dont know how to edit local settings through the root terminal.

Does Alt+F2 still function? If 'yes', type: kdesudo systemsettings
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Alt F2 does nothing.

Ctrl Alt F1 fails to bring up a login too.

Comment

IF your startup process was added in system settings startup and shut down autostart ,,,,then the *.desktop files are in ~/.config/autostart/ so removing them should stop the process from starting .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Oops just notesed you cant do anything ,,,,,,,,restart the box then at the login screen (befor you log in ) do the ctrl+alt+F6 or F1 or any in between and log in and do what you need to do .

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            Oops just notesed you cant do anything ,,,,,,,,restart the box then at the login screen (befor you log in ) do the ctrl+alt+F6 or F1 or any in between and log in and do what you need to do .

VINNY
            That brings up a flashing cursor, but the login fails to come up.

Comment

Got it. Booted into recovery mode, mounted my /home partition and deleted the file from Autostart. Thanks for the help everyone.

EDIT: And the reason my script failed to run properly.....forgot to set it as executable! Rookie mistake!
              Last edited by whatthefunk; Feb 16, 2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                got it. Booted into recovery mode, mounted my /home partition and deleted the file from autostart. Thanks for the help everyone.

Edit: And the reason my script failed to run properly.....forgot to set it as executable! Rookie mistake!
                ;d

vinny

weard ,,,somthing is keeping capital letters from this post ??
                Last edited by vinnywright; Feb 16, 2014, 09:07 PM.
                16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                X