• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to LibreOffice 4.2!

I followed this tut:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...0-423091.shtml

and it worked great!

No more crashes when moving calc cells or doing some other "weird" stuff which always brought my 4.1.x version to its knees.

Plus, it is much cleaner and faster

Try it out.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Yes, worth the upgrade just for the cell move improvement.
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan View Post
      I followed this tut:
      http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...0-423091.shtml

and it worked great!

No more crashes when moving calc cells or doing some other "weird" stuff which always brought my 4.1.x version to its knees.

Plus, it is much cleaner and faster

Try it out.
      Thanks for the heads up. Just installed in 12.04.

Comment

Thanks, will check it out!
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I hope they've solved some of LO Writer's crash problems. I save everything to thumb drives. If I don't remember to click on a drive first in Dolphin before saving to it from Writer, I'll often get a crash. What's worse is the recovery feature doesn't always get my document back. I really hope they've fixed this. I guess I'll find out.

Edit: It didn't crash this time around, but the first save to the thumb drive took an eternity.
          Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Feb 05, 2014, 02:23 PM. Reason: new info
          Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
          ================================

Comment

I had LibreOffice 4.2 on Trusty and I found that mp4, AVI, etc multimedia files gave a question mark before playing the file. For LibreOffice, I can only get multimedia to work by installing the gstreamer files with the package gst123. You can find my bug report here. Unfortunately no action seems to be taken as it is claimed to be a duplicate to bug 56847, which, in my opinion, is caused by users not having all the LO dependencies installed.

Comment

Trying to open(import) pdf's crashes 4.2 here. Anyone else see this?
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Works OK here.
                Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                Rich

Comment

Well, am glad of you but not for me.
                  I have libreoffice pdf-import installed but it doesn't show in the LO extensions and crashes LO when I try and load a pdf.
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I thought you were asking for all experiences. Sorry I bothered to answer.
                    Rich

Comment

I didn't mean it like that. I am glad it is working for you. I am just wondering if I am alone with this. sorry if you felt offended. It was certainly not meant that way.
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I didn't mean it like that. I am glad it is working for you. I am just wondering if I am alone with this. sorry if you felt offended. It was certainly not meant that way.
                        No problem. it is difficult at times in the written word to get the intent, and I need my second cup of coffee.

I wonder if a complete removal and reinstall would help. I would like some confirmation from someone else before you tried in case that would cause other issues in your configuration. The other thought is, did you remove the old version before installing the new one?
                        Rich

Comment

I wonder if a complete removal and reinstall would help. I would like some confirmation from someone else before you tried in case that would cause other issues in your configuration.
                          Agreed

did you remove the old version before installing the new one?
                          This should have and was as far as I could see with:
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
                          How can I check?
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Agreed

This should have and was as far as I could see with:
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
                            How can I check?
                            In my case the old version stayed in the menu. I did not delete it. It does not cause problems for me. But probably a good idea to get rid of it, if it is still there.. By the way I installed 4.2 from the Libreoffice website. You can open synaptic or Muon and check the version it reports of Libreoffice.
                            Rich

Comment

My menu shows the new vesion and so does muon. Just wondering if there were some residues hanging around and messing things up.
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                              X