This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got Ultralingua 6 to run in WINE!

Ultralingua is a language dictionary that I've used for years in Windows. When I first installed WINE, I could not get a quality version to run. I got a really old one to run, I think version 4 o 5, which was primitive. I had not been able to get version 6 or 7 to run. I'm not sure why. Anyway, after months of running them via VirtualBox, I've got version 6 to run in WINE.

The Linux equivalent, Goldendict, is actually quite good if you install quality dictionaries into it, which I have. However, Ultralingua sometimes offers a different perspective that is useful. So I was virtual-boxing over to it. Now I don't have to anymore. I use the French/English dictionary in Ultralingua. I wrote to them asking about buying additional dictionaries, a German-English one and a French-German one. They wrote back saying that those were no longer sold for ver 6, but they gave me a free key to unlock them. All I had to do was download them. Version 6 is really just as capable as version 7. In 7 they did some things that made it better organized, but 6 does everything essential.

It might actually be possible to get version 7 to run at some point. I've lost my original install package. For a long time, I just kept the files installed under "Program Files" and would manually copy them over to a Windows PC as an install. But that won't work for me in WINE. No biggie. Version 6 is good. Every feature works in WINE, except that you cannot see the icons in the toolbar. They appear as black boxes. However, the tooltips still work and every feature in the toolbar works.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================
Working...
X