Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone make the switch from Quicken/MSMoney to KMyMoney?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone make the switch from Quicken/MSMoney to KMyMoney?

I've used Quicken since the days of DOS. I wouldn't be without it or something like it. I've tried KMyMoney. It appears to have some good features, but it just felt too foreign. I'm sure I could get used to the interface with repeated use, but I could never find the most important feature to me and I don't know if it's there. In Quicken I'll download a web connect file and then import it, allowing Quicken to download all my transactions. It will list any I've already entered as a "match" and it will list any ones I haven't as "new." It also has the ability to interface directly with my bank's server and download all my transactions, but I never felt comfortable doing that.

Is the "import a web connect file" somewhere in KMyMoney and I just haven't found it? Or is it somewhat behind Quicken still? If KMyMoney met me needs, I wouldn't have to turn on Windows via VirtualBox so much. Quicken ran under WINE, but was very buggy. It runs a lot better under VirtualBox.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Kmymoney can do exactly that. I think "web connect" files are really ofx files, but kmm should be able to import quicken files as well. Heck, back when I used a checking account, it could connect directly with my bank and get the data that way.

I have not used it in a number of years, but I like kmm so much, I maintain a ppa with the latest stable version, as well one with daily builds.

I think it is just a file » import sort of action in the program. I'll have to check later, I'm supposed to be asleep lol, after working a late night. Gotta get up at 5 to go back in. But I'll install kmm later and see what I remember.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Kmymoney can do exactly that. I think "web connect" files are really ofx files, but kmm should be able to import quicken files as well. Heck, back when I used a checking account, it could connect directly with my bank and get the data that way.

I have not used it in a number of years, but I like kmm so much, I maintain a ppa with the latest stable version, as well one with daily builds.

I think it is just a file » import sort of action in the program. I'll have to check later, I'm supposed to be asleep lol, after working a late night. Gotta get up at 5 to go back in. But I'll install kmm later and see what I remember.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters
      KMyMoney can definitely import from Quicken. I was able to do that. In Quicken I just had to save it as an older Quicken file, a Qdata file if I remember right. I'll look for that ability to import. That would be a goddsend to be able to do my finances right in Linux.

Will it also reconcile with the financial institution's web? Quicken will do that. That's been great. It's been years since I've reconciled with a paper bank statement. I just reconcile on the fly after I download and import transactions. If KMyMoney can do that too, I'm probably ready to try switching.

Comment

My credit union allows me to export transactions in .ofx, .csv or .qfx format. KMyMoney can import all of them. Go to File/Import, and choose a format. It does the same as Quicken with "match". I don't know about reconciling. I just check that balances match. There a place in KMyMoney to change the status of a transaction from Not reconciled to Reconciled, but I don't know if the app itself does the reconciling.

Comment

It does do reconciling, but as arist does, I just checked my balance to make sure things matched.

To keep hyping KMM, as someone who has used Linux as his main OS (well, pretty much only OS) for well over a decade, this piece of software has been consistently stable and useful the whole time. The devs are good people, they don't go and add things just because they can, don't do weird things with the UI, and have been around for a while. I would say it is the best overall Linux program I have ever used, with the possible exception of Firefox or Libreoffice/openoffice (not "linux" apps)

Comment

If it could only do direct downloads from my brokerage account I would change in a minute. But alas it does not.
            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Always consider Occam's Razor
            Rich

Comment

I just played around with it. My bank allows me to do "WebConnect with Quicken", which automagically downloads a statement into KMyMoney. I was able to reconcile my account up to a year back using this method. Pretty neat, but useless to me. If I can get to my computer to piddle with a banking program, then I should also be able to log into my bank and just piddle with everything there. I can do everything online with Bank of America that I can do with KMM, plus some things that I would have to pay BofA to allow KMM to handle, but free online.
              I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

I'm going to have to check out KMM, I've never used it or an equivalent program before, but it sounds really useful and seems to come up in conversation quite a lot on the forum!

Amazing what you can learn by snooping
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I've been using KMM for more than two years. I had been using Quicken for Windows, and kept a VM of Windows XP just for it. Now, I don't do online banking (and never will), so I can't comment on that. But, I've been very happy with KMM. Once I was satisfied (didn't take long), Windows XP bit the dust. Nothing on my PC's but Linux since.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    I've been using KMM for more than two years. I had been using Quicken for Windows, and kept a VM of Windows XP just for it. Now, I don't do online banking (and never will), so I can't comment on that. But, I've been very happy with KMM. Once I was satisfied (didn't take long), Windows XP bit the dust. Nothing on my PC's but Linux since.
                    I would love to eventually get to a Linux-only PC. I'll be one step closer if KMM works out for me. It will be a while, though. There's no version of Final Draft for Linux. It's a screenwriting / stage writing word processor that is the industry standard. The closest Linux equivalent, CeltX, is totally inferior, especially for stage plays. There is a Mac version of it. Since Mac OS is Unix-based like Linux, it must be possible for them to base a Linux version on that, but they've probably determined that the Linux market isn't big enough to justify that.

Then there's ConvertXtoDVD, which only has a Windows version. This app gives me excellent control over how subtitles appear in the DVDs that I burn, much more so than the Linux equivalent, DeVeDe. DeVeDe is pretty good and may catch up at some point. I hope so.

Comment

I have been using kmm for over 5 years. Feel it is an excllent finance management tool. I also use it to directly download and update my investment funds at Vangaurd Group without any problem. I definitly recommend it to those who ued to utilize MS Money or are contemplating to use Quicken now since MS Money is no longer exist. There is no harm in trying it out!

Comment

Just tried it. It will not recognize my bank accounts. So it is Quicken for me.
                        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                        Always consider Occam's Razor
                        Rich

Comment

I think "web connect" files are really ofx files, but kmm should be able to import quicken files as well. Heck, back when I used a checking account, it could connect directly with my bank and get the data that way.
                          Yep, I can verify from personal use that 'web connect' files are really just ofx files. I download them from my bank and import them right into KMM with no issues. I've been using KMM for the past year or so. It can basically do most of what I used Quicken for, it just does it a little differently.

...and thanks a million for maintaining the KMM PPA claydoh! I downloaded my KMM from your PPA, installed it into kubuntu and it has been running fine ever since.

cheers,
                          bill
                          sigpic
                          A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Out of interest, what's involved in maintaining a PPA?

Tried KMM today, works fine with NatWest
                            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by bweinel View Post
                              Yep, I can verify from personal use that 'web connect' files are really just ofx files. I download them from my bank and import them right into KMM with no issues. I've been using KMM for the past year or so. It can basically do most of what I used Quicken for, it just does it a little differently.

...and thanks a million for maintaining the KMM PPA claydoh! I downloaded my KMM from your PPA, installed it into kubuntu and it has been running fine ever since.

cheers,
                              bill
                              Any idea if once you import the web connect/ofx file if any kind of flag is cleared in the file or on the bank's web page? I'd like to simultaneously maintain the same account in Quicken and in KMM. Of course if any such flag is cleared, then that would not work. I figure I could keep the same account in both programs while I get used to KMM. If I end up not liking it, I can always just ditch it and keep using Quicken.

Comment

Working...
                              X