This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD problem and a kdeconnect not sure how to list

This goes along with the thread on installing kdeconnect, but there is another problem that I've been needing to ask about but just haven't gotten to it yet. I have actually installed/re-installed 13.10 four or five times in the last two months, as I tried to learn linux instead of windows, and ended up wrecking the whole system. I haven't been able to get the "cd" command to work in any of those installs. I can type "cd /home/" and it moves to the home folder, but that's it, no matter what I do, it will not cd to any other folder. I have even copied and pasted commands off the internet to cd to the download folder, and it would say something like folder doesn't exist, or no such directory or whatever, it's not a command I use very often, usually if I can't get it from the repository I don't get it. I download very little that's not in the repository, and then only from official ubuntu/kubuntu/linux pages, so those are .deb files.

Now to the kdeconnect problem, I followed the directions and copied and pasted the instructions from the link posted in the other kdeconnect thread. I got down to the last three steps, which starts with a "cd" command, and my terminal won't cd to the folder, however I checked and it appears that everything is installed. But when trying to pair the devices, it times out, however that could be because I'm tethering my internet from my phone. I'll probably get that worked out as soon as I disconnect the internet connection.

Now here is a copy of my terminal where the cd fails, not only does the cd command fail, but if I move the folder to the home folder, the make and make install commands always fail also, same reason, it says that file does not exist, even when I point the terminal straight to the file, even right click and "open terminal here" or "open in terminal" it says file not found. So I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if the system has an error. I know I'm throwing a bunch of different problems into one thread, but are all intertwined.

robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$ cd kdeconnect-kde
    bash: cd: kdeconnect-kde: No such file or directory
    robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ./
    CMake Error: The source directory "/home/robby" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
    Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.
    robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$ make
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$ sudo make install
    [sudo] password for robby:
    make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
    CMake Error: The source directory "/home/robby" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
    robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$ cd /home/robby/downloads/kdeconnect-kde-0.1
    bash: cd: /home/robby/downloads/kdeconnect-kde-0.1: No such file or directory
    robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$

Originally posted by rk4262 View Post
    This goes along with the thread on installing kdeconnect, but there is another problem that I've been needing to ask about but just haven't gotten to it yet. I have actually installed/re-installed 13.10 four or five times in the last two months, as I tried to learn linux instead of windows, and ended up wrecking the whole system. I haven't been able to get the "cd" command to work in any of those installs. I can type "cd /home/" and it moves to the home folder, but that's it, no matter what I do, it will not cd to any other folder. I have even copied and pasted commands off the internet to cd to the download folder, and it would say something like folder doesn't exist, or no such directory or whatever, it's not a command I use very often, usually if I can't get it from the repository I don't get it. I download very little that's not in the repository, and then only from official ubuntu/kubuntu/linux pages, so those are .deb files.
    Try these commands one by one and see if they work:
    Code:
    cd ..
    cd
    cd /usr
    cd
    cd /home
    cd /usr/local/share
    Any luck? If not, what happened? Any error output?

Now to the kdeconnect problem, I followed the directions and copied and pasted the instructions from the link posted in the other kdeconnect thread. I got down to the last three steps, which starts with a "cd" command, and my terminal won't cd to the folder, however I checked and it appears that everything is installed. But when trying to pair the devices, it times out, however that could be because I'm tethering my internet from my phone. I'll probably get that worked out as soon as I disconnect the internet connection.
    Do you have a wireless network setup? If both your phone and your computer are not on the same wireless network, KDE Connect will not work.

Now here is a copy of my terminal where the cd fails, not only does the cd command fail, but if I move the folder to the home folder, the make and make install commands always fail also, same reason, it says that file does not exist, even when I point the terminal straight to the file, even right click and "open terminal here" or "open in terminal" it says file not found. So I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if the system has an error. I know I'm throwing a bunch of different problems into one thread, but are all intertwined.

robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$ cd kdeconnect-kde
    bash: cd: kdeconnect-kde: No such file or directory
    [sudo] password for robby:
    robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$ cd /home/robby/downloads/kdeconnect-kde-0.1
    bash: cd: /home/robby/downloads/kdeconnect-kde-0.1: No such file or directory
    robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$
    It looks like the directories you are trying to cd to dont exist. In your home folder, robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$, type "ls" to see a list of all visible files in the directory. Or, you can open up Dolphin file manager to see if your folders are where they should be.

Comment

@whatthefunk btw; love the name.
      [/quote]Try these commands one by one and see if they work: //Any luck? If not, what happened? Any error output?
      All those worked Don't know why I cant get it to work, I'm doing something wrong I guess, but then there are the times i copy and paste and it doesn't work. I guess I did something wrong in a previous step. Who knows?
      Do you have a wireless network setup? If both your phone and your computer are not on the same wireless network, KDE Connect will not work.
      I do have a router, I'm just not using it right now. I'll get it hooked back up.
      t looks like the directories you are trying to cd to dont exist. In your home folder, robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$, type "ls" to see a list of all visible files in the directory. Or, you can open up Dolphin file manager to see if your folders are where they should be.[quote]
      Output of ls

robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$ ls
      - Documents images.jpg ppa Templates
      conky-manager Downloads MrKennedy.odt Public
      Desktop file1 New Folder SteampunK

So I found the kdeconnect-kde-0.1 file in the download folder, and moved it to the home folder. Apparently the version I downloaded is newer than the one the directions were written for. Anyway, I moved the file, opened the terminal, typed the $ cd kdeconnect-kde-0.1 command in, hit enter and it said "Command not found". Not file doesn't exist that I usually get, but command not found. How is "cd" not found?

I have always been a computer geek, and loved modding windows. I tried Linux several times over the years, and just never found a distro I liked, until two months ago and I found Zorin, it's so much like windows, and so simple even my wife can operate it, I was bored and wanted more fun out of my OS. So I tried Ubuntu, I spent 2 days researching other distro's, before settling on Kubuntu, which meant I was on Ubuntu for about 36 hrs that's just how much I hated Unity. But I'm on some real strong medication for some serious health problems, and it affects my cognition to an extent, so I may have to go back to the simple Zorin. Or at least quit trying to do anything with KDE. I'm hoping that in time and with repetition I can pick this up.

Comment

As a reminder, the latest official release (0.4.1) is available in the regular ubuntu repos, called kdeconnect-kde so you can use apt-get or a package manager to install it.

With trying to build it, the issue you are having is that you are not in the same directory as the source files. You need to cd there first

Code:
        cd /home/my-username/some/folder/where/kde-connect/lives
        Not sure which directions you are following, but the first step would be to extract the files from the source tar (which will include the folder), unless you are using the latest bleeding edge code pulled in using git.

One simple way to help having the terminal in the correct folder is to use Dolphin to navigate and extract, then hit f4 to open an attached Konsole window. This window will be open to the same dir you have Dolphin open in, but you can still cd to others as needed. Using the ls command will help you see what is in the current dir, which helps, too.

If you want to play with kde-connect using the Ubuntu package, but still want try your hand at building it, do make sure to uninstall kdeconnect-kde package beforehand.

Comment

Working...
        X