This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random & Frustrating issue

A couple of weeks ago I tried to open Muon Package Manager, and it the tab would show up in the tab bar, the circle would go around a minute, then it would just stop. Nothing, I tried several times with the same result. So I just uninstalled it, and installed Synaptic instead. Then I had a problem one day, the Kmenu would not open, the circle would go around for a minute then just stop, with no result. I opened the Konsole through a shortcut in the tab bar, and restarted, then I could get into the Kmenu. A few days later I had the same problem with the Muon Discover software center, a few days later it was something else. Restarting did not help those things any, it just helped the Kmenu. Now today I tried to open the Konsole from the shortcut on the task bar, and got a error, "KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/konsole'". I tried a couple of times no luck, so I opened the Kmenu and tried to open it that way, with the original problem, the circle goes around, then it just quits.

What is going on around here? What could be causing this, and how do I fix it, or do I need an exorcist? lol

you need an exorcist,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,

as to what could be causing this ,,,,,,,,,,,well ,,,,, lots of things realy .....have you done any thing to change the system ,,,,,,been mucking around with config files ,,,,,adding off the wall repositories or what not ??

I have 3 installes that exhibit no such behavior and I do muck around with things a bit but this don't help you any .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Have you run an fsck on your HD lately?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Try
        Code:
        configure -f
        in a konsel.
        Maybe you broke a package.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

I'm not familiar with the "configure" as a utility.

But, to check for broken packages and/or repair them one can:
          sudo dpkg --configure -a
          and
          sudo apt-get -f install

Repeat using them until no errors are given.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            I'm not familiar with the "configure" as a utility.

But, to check for broken packages and/or repair them one can:
            sudo dpkg --configure -a
            and
            sudo apt-get -f install

Repeat using them until no errors are given.
            Perhaps I remembered wrong.
            Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

When this problem first started, I had done nothing at all to the system, not even a new theme. I had set preferences in the "System Settings" panel, but that's all. Nothing that isn't already built in. I have added a theme now, and installed conky, the hard way without the conky manager, but even that I was very careful. Conky works just as it's supposed to, no hicups, so apperently I did it right. I got the theme itself from the built in "Add Theme" section of the System Settings panel.

I have not run those commands, but will do so as soon as I get a minute. Thanks for the replies, for some reason I always come up with the weirdest problems. My auto mechanic hates to see me pull in, because my car is always doing something it shouldn't and it's not doing what it should based on what's actually wrong. One time my alternator went bad, instead of the battery going dead, and the car not running which is the normal effects, the head lights came on, and I couldn't turn them off, even when I turned the car off and removed the key. That's just my luck.

Comment

How to you perform system updates? Console/CLI or graphical package manager? If console/CLI, what command(s) do you use?
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, I have been using the Muon updater. Below is a read out of my terminal when I ran the above commands, unfortunately it shows nothing.

robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
                  [sudo] password for robby:
                  robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 284 not upgraded.
                  robby@robby-Aspire-5734Z:~$

Comment

From the console type:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

the dist-upgrade leaves me with this error msg

The GRUB boot loader was previously installed to a disk that is no
                      │ longer present, or whose unique identifier has changed for some reason.
                      │ It is important to make sure that the installed GRUB core image stays
                      │ in sync with GRUB modules and grub.cfg. Please check again to make sure
                      │ that GRUB is written to the appropriate boot devices.

│ If you're unsure which drive is designated as boot drive by your BIOS,
                      │ it is often a good idea to install GRUB to all of them.

│ Note: it is possible to install GRUB to partition boot records as well,
                      │ and some appropriate partitions are offered here. However, this forces
                      │ GRUB to use the blocklist mechanism, which makes it less reliable, and

│ <Ok>

Then I get this screen, and I can't figure out how to put the checkmark, or X or whatever to choose a partition

GRUB install devices: │
                      │ │
                      │ [ ] /dev/sda (160041 MB; WDC_WD1600BEVT-22ZCT0) │
                      │ [ ] - /dev/sda4 (32431 MB; /) │
                      │ │
                      │ │
                      │ <Ok>

So Now What?? I'm so confused.
                      Last edited by rk4262; Jan 31, 2014, 10:55 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

So i screwed up. my Dad came over needing some CD's burned. This requires me to use LightScribe which i just havent had the time to even try to get working in Kubuntu So I reboot into Windows. That was the plan I h-d forgotten about the terminal error from previous post so I reboot to a grub error. Of course this is when I remember Ive been meaning to make a grub rescue disk but just havent done it yet.

Sent from my phone, so please overlook the typo's I cant hit these small keys.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                          Perhaps I remembered wrong.
                          That is an ever increasing problem with me these days. Without my wife to remind me I wouldn't be able to remember squat.

Comment

I reinstalled over the previous installation. I haven't lost anything other than a few settings, no big d3a), but I've got to get my internet back before I will know about my original issue here.

Sent from my phone, so please overlook the typo's I cant hit these small keys.

Comment

Working...
                            X