Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VirtualBox -- a better secondary OS than Windows?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, I'm surprised by those values. They just don't correlate with "Linux folklore"!

So, how come Linux doesn't get "pwned" sooner in those Pwn2Own competitions?
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
      Thanks, I'm surprised by those values. They just don't correlate with "Linux folklore"!
      Ignoring reality can be very convenient, especially when it interferes with your biases.

So, how come Linux doesn't get "pwned" sooner in those Pwn2Own competitions?
      A lot of Linux vulnerabilities have low CVE scores. Low CVE score -> low risk -> litte benefit -> losing a hack competition. Again, think back to value. In Pwn2Own, you want to do something spectacular. DoSing a box does not qualify. Wiping the floor with Chrome using a chained attack? Spectacular!

Comment

Isn't it just first to gain root wins? Of was that only the first few competitions?
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

About 10 years ago, when Linux first started to be noticed and began making inroads into movie production, banking, and dominating the web servers, an AV software house, Kapersky, cited Symantec as saying that Linux had over 400 viruses. That made me curious because the year before I traversed their online database and found a total of about two dozen, of which only 6 had made it into the wild. The biggest was an Apache compromise that infected about 5,000 computers in the Balkan states. They were mostly RH and being run as root. The rest were of low infectivity and easy removal, AND, found on two or fewer machines. Amagine the luck of finding half a dozen viruses when they were on two or fewer machines! For several years, beginning back then, Kapersky had an annual scare-a-thone for new Linux users, fresh from Windows, and offered them "protection" with a Linux AV product. I haven't seen a Kapersky scare-a-thon in quite a while.

Anyway, I went to that database and found that they had changed it significantly. Before, I could search for Linux (or Windows) malware and find all of them listed on one scrolling page, which included the princial metrics: seriousness, removability, and infection numbers. The second time I searched it I had to drill down on EACH putative Linux virus several pages, to find those three metrics. I spent half a morning drilling down on about 125 of them. ALL, except the dozen or so I had seen before, were jpeg viruses, identical to the Windows version except that the word "linux" was added to their names.

This morning I browsed McAfee's virus listings. Search for "Linux" and you'll get 292 listed. They go back 15 or more years. Drill down one page and you get all the nitty-gritty. Search for "Windows" and you'll get four. Search for "Microsoft" and you weill be presented with 192 listings.

I also went to Symantic. They've returned to listing all their malware on one long, scrollable list containing 892 items. Drill down on one and you get the dope. HOWEVER, they do not say which OS the risk is associated with. You have to click the technical tab and read it to conclude, by the discussion, what OS is involved.

Then I went here: http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabil...ux-Kernel.html to look at the CVE for the Linux kernel.
          It lists 232 going back to 1996. Their scores range of 7 to 7.9.
          I went to the National Security Database. They listed 4,182 for Linux and 6,903 for Windows and Microsoft.

Like most things I see in the computer industy, and elsewhere, you pay your money, take your choice, and get the truth you want.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 25, 2014, 08:39 AM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            About 10 years ago, when Linux first started to be noticed and began making inroads into movie production, banking, and dominating the web servers, an AV software house, Kapersky, cited Symantec as saying that Linux had over 400 viruses. That made me curious because the year before I traversed their online database and found a total of about two dozen, of which only 6 had made it into the wild. The biggest was an Apache compromise that infected about 5,000 computers in the Balkan states. They were mostly RH and being run as root. The rest were of low infectivity and easy removal, AND, found on two or fewer machines. Amagine the luck of finding half a dozen viruses when they were on two or fewer machines! For several years, beginning back then, Kapersky had an annual scare-a-thone for new Linux users, fresh from Windows, and offered them "protection" with a Linux AV product. I haven't seen a Kapersky scare-a-thon in quite a while.

Anyway, I went to that database and found that they had changed it significantly. Before, I could search for Linux (or Windows) malware and find all of them listed on one scrolling page, which included the princial metrics: seriousness, removability, and infection numbers. The second time I searched it I had to drill down on EACH putative Linux virus several pages, to find those three metrics. I spent half a morning drilling down on about 125 of them. ALL, except the dozen or so I had seen before, were jpeg viruses, identical to the Windows version except that the word "linux" was added to their names.

This morning I browsed McAfee's virus listings. Search for "Linux" and you'll get 292 listed. They go back 15 or more years. Drill down one page and you get all the nitty-gritty. Search for "Windows" and you'll get four. Search for "Microsoft" and you weill be presented with 192 listings.

I also went to Symantic. They've returned to listing all their malware on one long, scrollable list containing 892 items. Drill down on one and you get the dope. HOWEVER, they do not say which OS the risk is associated with. You have to click the technical tab and read it to conclude, by the discussion, what OS is involved.

Then I went here: http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabil...ux-Kernel.html to look at the CVE for the Linux kernel.
            I went to the National Security Database. They listed 4,182 for Linux and 6,903 for Windows and Microsoft.

Like most things I see in the computer industy, and elsewhere, you pay your money, take your choice, and get the truth you want.
            Great post. Whether or not something is a "threat" totally depends on how it's calculated. Anyone who runs Linux as root all the time is committing a major security gaffe. I was wondering how on earth they could find vulnerabilities when you have to type your password in any time you install anything. I used to do computer programming some years back in Windows and have considered doing it again for Linux. I never wrote viruses or other malware, but I did understand enough to have been able to write a Trojan if I had wanted to. You certainly could write a Linux-based Trojan and disguise it as an app, but you would have to fool people into installing it. It could not replicate and spread just from being on your PC. Such an app could never make it into the repositories. I make it a policy only to install from the repositories unless there's an app that I really trust. If there were a crooked Linux app on a web page awaiting download from unsuspecting users, word of it would spread in the community.

I went ahead and installed Clam Antivirus in Kubuntu. I run a precautionary scan from time to time. So far it's never found any Linux-based malware. It did detect a Windows-based piece of malware one time, one that would not run under Linux. I've also installed NoScript into Firefox. It blocks scripts from running on web pages. It annoys me that some webmasters write scripts to automatically run without your permission. Most of the time NoScript just protects me from crappy scripts that run badly and crash Firefox, but it is conceivable that someone could create a browser-based piece of malware, so NS protects just in case of that. I only turn on scripts for web pages that I know I can trust. There's another nice Firefox plugin named WOT for Web of Trust. It rates sites for their trustworthiness. You can see the ratings both in a list from a search engine and in an icon in the browser itself if you're on the page. It pulls up a warning before it allows you into a dangerous site. Great utility. Most really bad malware on web pages would be written for Windows and hence would not run on your Linux PC, but if someone is crooked enough to set up such a page, I don't want to go to it anyway, just in case.

In other words, I'm being security conscious, despite using Linux. And I'll be doubly security conscious for any Windows-based apps I intend to run under VirtualBox. They'll be blocked from Internet access, except for Quicken. And even Quicken is only allowed net access for short periods of time. I don't intend to install much Windows software, but if for some reason I need to download and install something, I'll download it in Kubuntu and scan it with Clam. Then I'll copy it over to my share folder and scan it in Windows with Kaspersky. I guess if I really wanted to be cautious, I could boot to the Kaspersky boot DVD (a Linux distro) and scan it with that.

It would be interesting to see if malware writers could penetrate any Linux PC in which the user is running everything in non-root with protection plug-ins in Firefox and who only installs from the repositories. That would be a tall order. I won't say it's impossible because you don't want to let your guard down with these criminals, but it would be an extremely difficult task, far more difficult than spreading malware to a Windows PC, which by default runs in root. Tricking a Linux user via a social deception like a phishing scam seems more likely.
            Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
            ================================

Comment

I was partially successful in tracking down a posting I made at LinuxToday several years ago. The first part of the first sentence was in the subject line, which wasn't included in the post itself. I believe it began with "I have searched anti-virus databases ..."
              By GreyGeek Feb 26, 2008, 18:15
              twice in the last few years and both times I posted the results on LT.

In a nutshell there are 46 KNOWN viruses or Trojans for Linux but only SIX have been found "in the wild". This means that 40 of them were laboratory creations. I used Symantec's database the first time and the info was one page deep and easy to get at. Two years later Symantec claimed there were 400+ Linux viruses but they had changed their database structure and it required at least 6 or more clicks to get to the pertinent info on each virus: type of virus, level of infection, ease of removal. I drilled down on 125 of them and ALL were, without exception, Windows viruses with "Linux" added to their name. And, more importantly, ALL were jpg viruses that were found on 2 or fewer computers and were easily removed. Think about that "2 or fewer" part for a moment.

There are now MILLIONS of PCs around the world now running a Linux desktop. The last virus with a noticeable infection level was slapper, which appeared in the fall of 2002 and infected about 3,500 computers, mainly in Portugal and Romania, where initial reports of the worm originated. IIRC it was because they were running a Linux distro which featured running as root to make maintenance "easy". Symantec has been updating its slapper page regularly and claims that there are now about 1,000 infections, at more than 10 different sites. McAfee, on the other hand, shows no activity in slapper since the 2002 appearance and rates its current risk as "low profile".

Neither you nor I have seen ANY Linux virus unless someone deliberately gave you a copy on a floppy or CD so you could examine it. In fact, if a Linux virus were to appear and suddenly infect, say, 300,000 Linux desktops the way CodeRed infected Windows boxes during the first 24 hours after it was released, we'd see newspaper headlines around the world blaring out the details. Haven't seen any of those in the last six years, have you? The ONLY people pushing Linux viruses in the news are the makers of anti-virus software applications who are trying to drum up a market in the Linux environment. They haven't been successful because their products aren't needed.

Although some people deny it the ONLY reason why one would want to encumber their email client with an anti-virus application is to protect their Windows using friends if they forward an email to them.

This JOKE is not too far off of the truth:
              http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/evilmalware.html

To get infected by an email virus one would have to:
              1) save the attachment as a file because Linux only executes files.
              2) mark the attachment as executable. Linux won't do it for you.
              3) open a console and run the attachment. Linux won't do it for you.
              Those steps aren't going to happen automatically without your help.
              ---
              GreyGeek

Here is one of the two prior posts:
              By GreyGeek Jan 06, 2006, 22:04
              **Did you hear of a single in-the-wild Linux exploit in 2005? Or in 2004?

Not to rain on your parade but there was the Lupper Worm.

http://lwn.net/Articles/159297/

Though not much happened. :-)

BD

You haven't rained on my parade, BD. In fact, your citation proves my point. The Lupper worm was classified as "Low". Here is McAfee's description of "Low":

Low Risk
              These are viruses that may not yet have been reported in the wild, and may not have a dangerous payload.

McAfee used to give the risk by citing how many PCs the virus appeared on since being reported. That is, the number of "infections". In the last 12 years ALL BUT SIX Linux bugs were cited as appearing on 3 or less computers. That raises the question as to how McAfee or the other anti-virus software houses even encountered a bug with such a low exposure? IT WAS IN THEIR LAB!!!

Now, can anyone give me a URL which describes an attack by a Linux bug which was in the wild, circulating around the web? In otherwords, it infected, say, more than 1,000 PCs. Even 1,000 PCs is pretty generous, considering that most Windows bug infection rates are in the MILLIONS of PCs. (And yes, there are more than a million Linux boxes connected to the web.)

Symantec was more honest about Lupper:
              threat assessment
              Wild
              * Number of infections: 0 - 49
              * Number of sites: 0 - 2
              * Geographical distribution: Low
              * Threat containment: Easy
              * Removal: Easy

Notice the number of sites infected. However, that didn't stop much of the media from making a field day of it, nor the Microserfs from shouting on the blogs and talkbacks. But, the fact remains.... show me the infected PCs. If the Lupper worm were so prevalent then there should be not dozens, not hundreds, but hundreds of thousands of infections. If anything was notable about the slapper worm it was that it infected LESS than 15,000 PCs out of all those around the world. Infection rates that low in Windows wouldn't even make the anti-virus software houses news letters, much less the national news outlets.

So, who is pushing the hype? There are two major sources who stand to beneifit by this disinformation: Microsoft and the anti-virus houses. I have no doubts that the worm originated with the latter, else how could they cite the infection sites as only being 0-2 locatons?

and another one:
              By GreyGeek Jan 19, 2008, 02:34
              About once a year for the last 3 or 4 years the anti-virus software houses have run marketing campaigns trying to convince Linux users that they are in danger of contracting virus infections. Such attempts have failed repeatedly, even though the houses continue to repeat their campaign to convince Linux users that their products are necessary.

The 500 or so Linux "viruses" mentioned in the article are mostly Windows jpeg viruses with the word "linux" stuck into their name to give credence to some attempts by certain anti-virus houses to sell anti-virus products to Linux users. The real count of total number actual Linux viruses found in the wild since Linux was released 15 years ago is less than a dozen.

The last major Linux virus was Slapper, FIVE years ago, and it infected only a few thousand computers before it died out.

IF a virulent Linux virus which infected hundreds of thousands of Linux servers/desktops did appeared we know about it ASAP, because Microsoft, McAfee and others would crow about it for weeks to make it appear a bad as possible. That such a news story hasn't been seen says volumes about the reality of Linux viruses.
              ---
              GreyGeek
              And, a comment from 2009, responding to an analogy posted by another reader:
              By GreyGeek Jul 29, 2009, 20:03
              Extending your analogy in a different way:

Just because one Ford owner left his keys in the car door doesn't mean that all Fords are insecure, but a key is not needed to unlock a locked Ugo ... a stick will work, so will tapping the lock, or squirting oil into the lock.

Most folks who predict that Linux will be "just as insecure as Windows when more start using it" have faulty logic about market share while volunteering that Windows IS insecure, something they usually deny in other contexts. Using Ballmer's statistics, Linux already has 12% desktop market share in the USA, and other statistics show a MUCH higher share in China and other countries. I read somewhere there are now more Chinese browsing the Internet than there are computers in the USA. Sixteen percent of them are using Linux. But, returning to just the USA stats, 12% of the PC's hacked into being Zombies on bot farms SHOULD BE Linux PCs, if Linux is indeed just as insecure as Windows. The fact is that a Linux zombie is a rare creature indeed on a bot farm, statistically insignificant. Zombies are entirely PCs running any version of Windows because they are all equally insecure.

The main reason is that while Windows will automatically execute an email attachment Linux will not. The attachment would have to be saved, 'execute' added to its permission set, and then run, usually from a console, for it to run. These steps require manual intervention and to talk a Linux user into performing them would require exceptional social engineering.
              ---
              GreyGeek

Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 25, 2014, 03:14 PM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GreyGeek@

Here's a 'blast from your past' for you. The year: 2003

[huskerlug] Re: antivirus
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Isn't it just first to gain root wins? Of was that only the first few competitions?
                  Pwn2Own has moved beyond that now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
                    It would be interesting to see if malware writers could penetrate any Linux PC in which the user is running everything in non-root with protection plug-ins in Firefox and who only installs from the repositories. That would be a tall order. I won't say it's impossible because you don't want to let your guard down with these criminals, but it would be an extremely difficult task, far more difficult than spreading malware to a Windows PC, which by default runs in root. Tricking a Linux user via a social deception like a phishing scam seems more likely.
                    Sure it's possible. Running as a normal user, whether in Linux or Windows, does not provide complete protection. It does limit the malware's ability to do harm. If the malware were running as root/administrator, then the malware can gain complete control and damage the operating system. If the malware were running as standard user, it can still exfiltrate user information, modify user data, change user configuration, delete user files.

Comment

These are different metrics. Kaspersky, McAfee, and Symantec are reporting various flavors of malware. Because there is far more Windows-based malware in the wild, the Windows numbers on these searches will be higher.

CVE tracks all reported vulnerabilities, regardless of whether there exists a malware exploit for them. It is interesting to note that the number of high-scoring vulnerabilities for the kernel is indeed low, as you mention. The total count for all scores is 1,143.

These numbers sound like aggregate counts. Is the Linux number comprised of kernel plus distributions, and is the Windows/Microsoft number comprised of all versions?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, I booted to the Kaspersky rescue disk, updated its antivirus definitions, and scanned my entire hard drive. I have Kubuntu, plus two installs of Windows. I have the original Windows 7 Home install, which I rarely use, on its own partition. When this thing boots, Grub gives me the choice between Kubuntu or this Windows install. After Kubuntu boots, I have the choice of running Windows 7 Ultimate under VirtualBox if I want to. I usually work only in Kubuntu, but sometimes I run Win 7 under VB to run the programs I've described, and Win 7 is usually blocked from the Internet.

Anyway, the Kaspersky rescue disk scan found no malware. That shouldn't be a big surprise since I use good security practices. What I do wonder is if the Kaspersky boot disk scan does actually scan my VB install of Windows 7, since that one is not actually on its own partition. I don't completely understand how VB works, but it somehow simulates a partition for Windows.
                        Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
                        ================================

Comment

A virtual machine is a pile of bits that look and feel like a real machine, but only while the virtual machine manager is running. A scan running on the bare metal will not be able to detect that this pile of bits represents a computer.

Comment

Working...
                          X