This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype Problems

I set up Kubuntu 13.10 on my roommate's old Lenovo laptop (formerly a Windows XP machine). It has a Celeron processor and has 2 GB of RAM (upgraded by the previous owner from either 512 MB or 1 GB, don't know which). Kubuntu's running great. It does not have a built-in web cam, but we used a USB-based Logitech C510 web cam. To my surprise, I did not need to install a driver. It worked out of the box. I tested it at www.testwebcam.com. We tested a Skype conversation from my Skype account to his. On his laptop we were able to get a good video transmission, but the audio was such poor quality that it's unusable. It completely breaks up. I tried adjusting the volume levels both in Kubuntu and in Skype, but the audio was awful no matter what. I played a Youtube video in Firefox and the audio quality was perfectly fine.

Any ideas?

Edit: One other quick question. I also tried his web cam on my newer Lenovo, but I could not get it to work instead of the built-in web cam that comes with this thing. How would I use the USB-based cam instead of the built-in one?
    Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Nov 30, 2013, 03:42 PM.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Have you tried using System Settings > Multimedia > Audio and Video Settings? This allows you to move your preferred Audio Playback, Audio Recording and Video Recording devices to top.

Also with Skype Options > Video Devices you can select the webcam and a double click on the image will put it to full screen. Esc returns it back.

Let's know how you go with this.

Comment

Often Skype sound problems are due to Skype's compression and codecs, combined with poor or low *outgoing* bandwidth. Sometimes it's just Skype being terrible sometimes. One thing I've found is that sometimes just waiting it out during a fit of stuttering lagging sound works, or hanging up and calling again. Unfortunately Skype is the best choice for a lot of people worldwide, it is better for me than Google's offering when I call my red headed Aussie lass in New South Wales from here in the U.S..

Sent from my dlx using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X