This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still Google Earth problems

Because I don't see many complaints about Google Earth I assume there must be solutions to the problems I have.

My 64-bit 13.10 Kubuntu install was done in the Alpha phase but I find it hard to believe that would be the reason I can't get Google Earth to run or even install easily.

First I tried to install the new 64-bit version but it fails with the message of missing ia-32 libs.
    Installing the 32-bit version succeeded but running it fails with messages of missing 32-bit (i386) libraries.
    I copied the missing items from my parallel install of 13.04 and now Google Earth is working.

The remaining problem is that clicking panoramio photo icons only brings up a white screen, pictures are not displayed.

Because the 32-bit version now has the libs required to run I have once more tried to install the 64-bit version but the message is the same, missing ia-32 libs...

Did you, like me, download from Google the 64-bit .deb package? I've had issues with GE as well. I just removed it completely this morning.

Have you tried using the googleearth-package in the repositories? It grabs the required files/packages and 'builds' a .deb package you then use to install GE.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I did try the one made via the repositories but presently it's a downloaded deb from the Google site.
      This was during the Alpha-Beta period, maybe I should try once again...

Comment

Every version of GoogleEarth that I have tried (repository or from Google) always gives me an error when searching for a location. The error, IIRC, is "http:// format error". At that point the program often crashes. I've restored to using GoogleMaps for most of my geographical searches to find a location, then, if I need more detailed info or to navigate on the surface of the Earth, I manually navigate to the place GoogleMaps found. Pain. (BTW, the problem persists in KWheezy as well, as do my intermittent AR9642 wifi connection (ath9k), and the intermittent plasma-desktop freeze, which is sometimes long enough to prompt me to use ksysmon, right click on plasma-desktop and send it an INT signal, which always frees it up. Definitely a problem with KDE4 since KDE 4.8.4.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Google Earth was working just fine on 13.04 for me. Did the upgrade to 13.10 and at the end of the install, Google Earth was in the list of "To be removed". I too have not been able to get the deb file
          or the repo one to load. Geez thought it was just me.

Comment

The 1.1.0 version of googleearth-package has been fixed to work with 64bit. The missing 32bit dependencies have been removed since the multi-arch mess in 13.10. https://launchpad.net/~absinthesyrin...kage/+packages
            Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Thanks for the tip re. a new build package.

Regrettably the build fails:
              Code:
              Maintainer:  <teunis@13-10-W520>
              Architecture: amd64
              Depends: fonts-liberation, libfreeimage3, lsb-core, libqtcore4, libgl1-mesa-glx, libglu1-mesa , libcurl3:i386, libsm6:i386, libfontconfig1:i386, libxt6:i386, libxrender1:i386, libxext6:i386, libgl1-mesa-glx:i386, libgl1-mesa-dri:i386
              Suggests: lib32nss-mdns|libnss-mdns:i386, libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386, libgl1-fglrx-glx:i386
              Description: Google Earth, a 3D map/planet viewer
               Package built with googleearth-package.
              dpkg-deb: error: heb een actie-optie nodig
              Translation of error: need an action.

I use the nVidia proprietary drivers, presently ver. 319.16

Comment

It is not automatically pulling in depends. Try installing the missing depends in the error message. Mine complained only of libfreeimage3, and worked fine after I installed it. A quick
                Code:
                sudo apt-get -f install
                should pull it all in.
                Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

That's what was my first reaction but these packages are either not found (libgl1-nvidia-glx) or have unmet dependencies;
                  libnss-mdns:i386 : Dependencies: base-files:i386 (>= 3.1.10)

Comment

Multi-arch on 13.10 has created lots of problems. Try installing those packages manually without ":i386".
                    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

I still have this parallel install of 13.04 where Google Earth is working.

Comment

Well this has been a boat load of disappointments, even with 1.1 loaded, both 13.10 64 bit loads whine about needing dependencies. None listed.

Loaded 32 bit on the Xubuntu, 1.0 loads fine, deb file installs. However, a launch of GE gives me that GE does not support my half wit Intel video chip in 3D.
                        did the the continue anyways and sure enough it does not.

However, GE works just fine with Deb 7 64 bit and Kwheezy 64 bit. A little later, will try the 32 bit Deb 7 and see what happens(it will work).

So it is time to just wait until the priority list gets down to it.

Comment

Just ran across this post. http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/insta...untu-1404.html It would seem the dependencies aren't getting pulled in like they are supposed to. After installing the packages
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get install libfontconfig1:i386 libx11-6:i386 libxrender1:i386 libxext6:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libglib2.0-0:i386 libsm6:i386
                          googlearth fires up and runs great without crashing.

EDIT: This is the 32bit version on a 64bit OS. The 64bit version of googleearth is exactly the same as the 32bit version except for the ia32libs dependency (which no longers exists).
                          Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Yes it lacks several 32-bit libs, thanks for the list!

I started google earth from the command line and next installed every lib that was reported as missing.
                            It too resulted in a working system.

What is still not working are the Panoramio pictures, a real nuisance for a contributor like me.

Comment

I could never get panorama images to work in GE and because of this I have totally removed GE from my system. I now use Google Maps which provides the panorama images, street view and directions that I require for travelling.

Comment

Working...
                              X