• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blueshell Firefox on Kubuntu13.10

I did the usual to install Firefox with KDE integration:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:blue-shell/firefox-kde
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install firefox firefox-kde-support

echo -e 'Package: *' | sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox > /dev/null
    echo -e 'Pin: release o=LP-PPA-blue-shell-firefox-kde' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox > /dev/null
    echo -e 'Pin-Priority: 1000' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox > /dev/null

However it is installing the normal non kde friendly version. Any suggestions?

You identified for pinning firefox-kde-support. But the blue-shell firefox package is version 24.0+build1-0ubuntu2~ppa2~saucy1 while the Ubuntu repository firefox is version 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      You identified for pinning firefox-kde-support. But the blue-shell firefox package is version 24.0+build1-0ubuntu2~ppa2~saucy1 while the Ubuntu repository firefox is version 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1

So what can I do to help it?

Comment

I do not understand the nature of the problem and if it is I that am the cause for this or the blueshell repo.

Comment

Am I pinning it incorrectly?

Comment

I'm suggesting, that because the ubuntu repository version of firefox is higher than the one in Blueshell, the ubuntu version is being preferred.

Comment

oh ok.

So the only thing I can do is wait for the Blueshell repo to be updated?

Comment

See https://wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences and Example 3 for setting preferences by Origin.

Comment

So it seems to that one can pin priority to one source vs the other.

Does any one know how to properly pin the origin source of the blue ppa vs the official ubuntu?

Comment

Until Steve came with his elegant recipe I used the 'lock' option in Muon.
                    Select the application, go to Version and right-click the version you want to keep (the Blue Shell one) and select 'Lock'.
                    By the time the new Blue Shell version arrives you unselect the old one, select the new one and update.

Anyhow, FF25 just showed up in the Blue Shell repo.

Comment

Ok thanks Teunis! You are correct Firefox25 showed up in the Blue Shell Repo and all is well.

Comment

The point of pinning the Blue Shell repository is to prevent the normal one from overwriting. @wrender: did you run apt-get update after creating the preferences file? This is necessary to set the pin priority in the local package cache. Based on the order of what you typed, it seems that you installed Firefox before you created the file.

Alternately -- I can think of an edge case where the 1000 priority won't accomplish the desired effect. If "regular" Firefox is already installed, pinning Blue Shell at 1000 won't permit APT to downgrade Firefox to an earlier version if that's what's in the Blue Shell PPA. To force a downgrade, the priority should be 1001.

Comment

Working...
                        X