Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to pin applications to specific virtual desktops?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to pin applications to specific virtual desktops?

I run with 6 desktops, and I always want the same set of apps in each one. 13.10 starts up with most of them in the wrong place, seemingly at random. Is there a way to fix this behaviour?

This has been an intermittent problem ever since I started using (K)ubuntu. Some versions do it out of the box, others don't. 13.04 did; 13.10 doesn't.

None of them have managed it with Skype. Skype always appears on Desktop-1 after start-up. Naturally I want it on 6. You know who owns Skype these days.

Kubuntu 13.10, AMD64 Phenom 6-core, 8GB

Right click on the rightmost icon in the title bar. Choose More Actions> Special application settings>Size and Position Tab. Then click desktop and you can choose what desktop it starts on. I am not sure if this persists through boots but I suspect it will.
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

Comment

Thank you, Richb. That helps quite a bit.

Distinct applications get their correct Desktops, but multiple instances of, say, Firefox do not. They all appear in a single Desktop.

My usual configuration has three Desktops with Firefox, and the rest a medley of GIMP, Kate, Skype, System Monitor, MySQL, Python, and REXX.

I'll have a look at the docs.

Comment

I am experiencing a similar problem which, I believe, is a regression in Kubuntu 13.10

I have been running "restore previous session" (from |System Settings |Startup and Shutdown |Session Management) for several years and through many versions of Kubuntu.

This is the first release in which applications are not started in the previous session's workspaces or positions.

I believe the problem merits filing a bug. Should it be filed at the Ubuntu Launchpad bug site or at bugs.kde.org? Which component should I file the bug against?

Sorry to have to ask these questions. Other life responsibilities have forced me to devote less time to Linux and I find that I have forgotten some technical details.

Comment

I normally use only one desktop. I upgraded from 12.04 LTS to 13.10 and now I'm experiencing seemingly random placement of windows, without rebooting or logging off/on. In other words, the windows of virtually all applications randomly move around on the screen at random times. I never had this issue with 12.04 LTS. The windows were always where I left them.

If you file a bug report brm, please leave a link here so I can add my comments.

Thanks.

Comment

Clearly a bug or configuration error.

But wouldn't your user scenario be at least as well served using the Activities utility (or mode)?

Comment

Working...
            X