This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow windows effects and/or focus in 13.10

I just installed kubuntu 13.10, 32 bit version, and the window focus is laggy.

I have it set to focus follows mouse (interesting new configuration setup for that, I'm not sure if it is more options, less options, or more complicated) and when I move the mouse into a different window to make it active, there is a 4 step process that seems to take a long time.

step 1) the previously active window border goes grey (inactive color), almost immediately.
    step 2) the previously active window title bar (and focus?) goes grey now showing inactive
    step 3) the newly activated window border turns blue (active color)
    step 4) the newly activated window title bar turns and is now active.

This process takes just shy of a second, which is very laggy to me. It has caused me to click in windows and end up resizing different windows (don't know how) and causes closing windows to take a long time, because the 4 steps have to be done before the close button highlights.

I was previously on 12.04 and 12.10, and the window managment was immediate.

I have all the desktop effects turned off, and the focus delay set to 0 ms. Changing the focus delay didn't affect anything

Also, moving through multiple windows, each window in turn goes thru the above process, making it a 6 step process to go thru 3 windows, 8 steps for 4 windows, etc.

Making a window on a different monitor screen active is even longer, going through many windows on the way from one screen to the other.

I installed the nvidia drivers, but they seem to be fine.

It almost seems like it is a hidden window effect, or some setting that makes it perform the process in steps rather than all at once, but I can't seem to find it.

anybody else experience this? or even better, know what is going on?

thanks

Just on a whim, I went back to "click to focus" and the same 4 step process happens on my system.

The window raises to the top immediately, but it takes almost a second for the window to become fully active. The windows go through the same 4 steps to make the new active window completely active.

very laggy and it would be nice to get the snappy response back.

Comment

Have you checked to make sure deskop effects advanced is set to OpenGL rather than xrender?
      Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
      Always consider Occam's Razor
      Rich

Comment

Well, playing around again, thinking that it was a window effects issue, I went to the desktop effects setting and to the "Advanced" Tab.

Nothing really to see, but I changed the OpenGL version, and reset it and it fixed the lag.

It was at version 2.0, so i changed to 3.1, the settings went through the update (asking to keep the setting) and now the windows snap into focus. I went back from 3.1 to 2.0, and the windows still respond immediately.

my guess is something got confused when installing the new drivers or during other setting changes, and reinitializing the OpenGL fixed it.

I was never on xrender, always on OpenGL

Comment

Working...
        X