This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add "open with" entry to Dolphin?

Sometimes I edit subtitle SRT files. I have some terrific programs for this in Windows. However, the Linux-based programs that I found in the repository just didn't cut it. They were ridiculously crash prone. Fortunately, I found a reasonably good program named Jubler that I downloaded and installed. It's a Java-based program, which isn't my first choice, but it does work pretty well, much better than the other Linux apps I tried. It came with an install package that put it on my Kubuntu PC, but did not put it into the KDE app launcher automatically. I had to manually put it in. No biggie. It worked. That's just the nature of Java. Apps written in that language tend to do their own thing with interfaces nonstandard to the OS. Btw, for security reasons, I do not recommend installing any Java-based app outside the repository unless you're sure you can trust it. I can trust Jubler. (I guess that advice should go for an app written in any language.)

Okay, so in Dolphin I can right click on an SRT file and choose "open with" and a list of suggested programs comes up. Unfortunately, Jubler is not one of them. I have to go:
    right click ==> open with ==> other

And then I look through a menu structured like the launcher to find Jubler. It would much more efficient if I could somehow add Jubler to that "open with" set of apps. Is there some way to do this?

Btw, if someone has had good experiences with a subtitle editor, I am still winning to try out other apps.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

KDE System Settings > File Associations > Type srt to the 'Find file type or filename pattern' > Pick the 'x-subrip' > Add the wanted application > Put the application on the top of the app list - if you want it as the default application.

Note the 'Help' button - low left corner.

or

Right click the 'srt' file on the file manager (Dolphin) > Properties > Click ' File Type Options'...

... edit the Application options.
    Last edited by Rog132; Oct 22, 2013, 04:01 AM.
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

We're in business. Thanks!
      Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
      ================================

Comment

Working...
      X