This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Flawless [well, not quite] Online Upgrades From 13.04 to 13.10

I say "not quite" because on my older dual-core (3.1 mHz) desktop, the first attempt aborted right in the beginning, with the notice that my /LINUX partition was too small (no room). 13.7 GB were used, and only 2.3 GB remained. So I had to use GParted to shrink the 472 GB /HOME partition and move it all the way to the right (THAT took almost 4 hours), and then I had to move the /SWAP partition to butt up against the /HOME partition, and then grow the /LINUX partition to 22+ GB to fill the vacant space. The harddrive involved was a 500 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM. After re-configuring the partition sizes, I upgraded that older desktop in 3 hours (my 17 y.o. son was simultaneously playing an online video game and running skype on his laptop, so my starting download speed was fluctuating between 91 kB and 440 kB until I threatened him repeatedly for an hour with no more use of the car unless he got off line for a few minutes to help me out-- thereafter the download picked up it's pace, and what originally threatened to be a 4 hour upgrade turned out to be "only" a two and a half hour upgrade. Then I moved over to the newer quad-core 3.8 mHz, SSD-fitted desktop (built to order by Puget Systems) and started its upgrade, timing it with my old pocket "Super Select" mechanical stopwatch which I used for sextant navigation when I was at sea (GPS didn't exist back in the old days). The Puget Systems desktop timed out at 33'27" on the stopwatch, from beginning the upgrade to logged in to the new ready to use Saucy 3.10 installation. That bloody well blew my mind! And everything works just as it did before the upgrade-- not a single glitch have I detected so far-- plus, all of my desktop settings are totally intact from the Raring old 3.04.

Gor blimey! That calls for a dram of the Laphroig, I'd say: Well deserved, matey, well deserved! (Pat meself on the back, as if ever I needed an excuse to taste the mother's milk of Islay.)
    Retired Merchant Seaman, 45 years service. (Computer 1): Gygabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 board, AMD Athlon II x2 255 cpu, GV-R6450C-1G graphics, 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB WD Green HD. (Computer 2): Asus F2A85-M PRO board, AMD A-Series A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad Core 100W cpu, 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD

Completely agree with the statement mate. Upgrade is now so smooth and uneventful that I half long for the old days when I had to clear my schedule for at least a day when it came to upgrade time. Bravo to the chaps and chapess ( is there such a word) at ubuntu amd kde.

Comment

No problems here either. In the 2+ years I've been using Kubuntu, every upgrade has been smooth and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by assettt View Post
        Completely agree with the statement mate. Upgrade is now so smooth and uneventful that I half long for the old days when I had to clear my schedule for at least a day when it came to upgrade time. Bravo to the chaps and chapess ( is there such a word) at ubuntu amd kde.
        I used to run Gentoo. You had to clear your whole weekend when it was time to upgrade!

Comment

Working...
        X