Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proprietary drivers - do i need to disable them before upgrade?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proprietary drivers - do i need to disable them before upgrade?

In older version one had to disable the drivers first (especially GPU drivers) and then do the upgrade. Do we still need to do that or is this done automaticly? i am asking because it is not mentioned here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaucyUpgrades/Kubuntu

I plan to upgrade a dualboot mashcine. but not just yet. later when i have time and also servers must be busy right now. I can't wait for 14.04 to stick with ( hate doing upgrades they take too much of my time - same goes with fresh installs). i just hope AMD doesn't go crazy and drop their support on me for LTS version...

I upgraded with the nvidia proprietary driver, and I did not have any problems.

Comment

I upgraded my two AMD CPU desktop machines, one a dual chip and the other a quad chip, and had no problems. Both machines' upgrades went smoothly, automatically installing the ATI Fire GL, and both machines offering 'Video driver for the AMD graphics accelerator' as a second choice (if you want it). Both choices are indicated to be "Tested by the Ubuntu developers" and also "License: Proprietary". The ATI FIre GL driver is working fine on both of my machines. This information came from the "Additional Drivers" (Jockey) icon under Kickoff Application Launcher:Applications:System. If the Jockey utility is not there, you will have to install it using the Muon Package Manager.
      Retired Merchant Seaman, 45 years service. (Computer 1): Gygabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 board, AMD Athlon II x2 255 cpu, GV-R6450C-1G graphics, 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB WD Green HD. (Computer 2): Asus F2A85-M PRO board, AMD A-Series A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad Core 100W cpu, 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD

Comment

excelent news.... now i just need to wait regarding botched muon i see in couple of threads.

i actuallz have 2 mashcines that need to be upgraded and can't wait for the 14.04 to stick with it for a while.... i hate doing upgrades or fresh installs. they just take too long time.

Comment

Working...
        X