This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to 13,10 not smooth

I did the upgrade to 13.10 from 13,04. It was not without trouble.

I used the command line and apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. About half way through it aborted with an error 1. I did not reboot and the system was rendered unusable as most programs would not load. I then issued the above command using the -f suffix to force it, and it went on its merry way to completion. To my relief upon reboot almost everything worked. However the xserver-xorg-video-intel package had been removed so OpenGL was not working with the result of limited desktop effects. Trying to install it was not possible as broken packages were reported but none could be found. I then installed aptitude and issued the install command for xserver-xorg-video-intel. I had to pick the second suggestion. Some packages were removed but the xserver package did install. Upon reboot all was good.

My initial reaction is very favorable. The system is scary fast. More to follow if I run into difficulties.
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

the only way a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" would get you to Saucy from Raring is if you manually changed all references of Raring to Saucy in you source list's.

the best way to do it is with a fully updated system (13.04) and then run
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d
    IF you did not change all the Raring refrences in the source list and you got a ton of packages coming in , it was probably just KDE going up a version

VINNY
    Last edited by vinnywright; Oct 17, 2013, 03:49 PM.
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Shouldn't be:
      Code:
      ?

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
        Shouldn't be:
        Code:
        ?
        oops ,,,,,,yes of course

fixed:

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

That explains it.
          Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
          Always consider Occam's Razor
          Rich

Comment

Working...
          X