This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adopt pulseaudio instead of phonon

Ive had many issues with PCI sound cards and the main way to get them working I have found is installing pulse as the sound server, I think kubuntu should ditch phonon and integrate pulse. We know the kde project cant manage every aspect of the OS e.g. Firefox over reconq, VLC over the default player. I reckon a switch over to pulse would be a good idea, what does every one else think?

I would disagree. When using Ubuntu, I had to disable Pulse because it causes sound distortion, and that's something I can't stand. It wasn't just a little fuzz, everything got extremely fuzzy when applications such as Skype were run. I stick to ALSA. But .. maybe I'll give Phonon a try. I went from Ubuntu to Kubuntu from the ubuntu-desktop package and removing Gnome, Lightdm, etc. So, maybe I should try a couple things out. :P

As for the video player, I disagree again. I choose the features of SMPlayer over VLC Player.

Don't worry .. I'll agree on one point. :P I like Firefox, though I'm not sure they would because there's no longer any KDE support. You can skin it and what not to fit in with KDE, though I'm not sure if there's any problems with it. Seems to work great for me.

A link that may interest you.

Comment

It is a bit confusing, but we are using pulse audio by default.

KDE sends audio to phonon. Phonon then sends it to gstreamer (or vlc backend, xine, or the Windows or Mac sound system depending on the OS and user selection )

Then, in Linux, gstreamer (or whatever backend is used) sends it to pulse audio.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

Comment

I wish audio would be simplified. We have Pulseaudio, Phonon, KMix, and Alsa and at least on my system, none of them play well together. To get audio working (and then not even perfectly) I have to purge Pulseaudio, change my Phonon backend, up the levels in Kmix, and then up the levels in the terminal with Alsa mixer. Way, way too much work.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaotique View Post
          Cant believe they are dropping support for FF, its the most used free (as in freedom) browser, sad times. What next, IE 10 with KDE - built in bing search ......

Aslo, I agree whatthefunk - I like to install the pavucontrol to manage the audio ins and outs if that was there by default instead of phonon or kmix things would be a little nicer, too many cooks and all that...... on the audio front, alsa phonon kmix pulse gstreamer vlc backend xine, used to have jack as well. You could have about 10 ways of turning the volume up if you wanted to. I believe the pavucontrol is the best graphical tool for doing this. However I can respect that its not everyones favourite. It just seems things could be a bit more organised for audio, I have found that pulse is the best way of managing my microphone and my skype volume as well as the overall volume and the settings for my PCI Maudio sound card, Kmix and phonon just arent as well equiped and alsa in the command line is like something from 1990.
          Last edited by michaelferrie; Aug 26, 2013, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I dunno, it's not that Kubuntu dropped hacking FF code to make it more KDE-ish, it was ubuntu who was doing that. New FF releases now come very quickly these days, and it seems that keeping up with the constant fixing was too much, so they dropped it. Looking at the Blue Systems PPA that provides hacked FF for us, it sometimes falls behind, so I am deducing that it *is* a bit of work to keep up with FF changes.

Ultimately, one could in theory blame Mozilla for not making such things as file dialogs and file associations able to use "native" counterparts, as chromium (as one example) does.

As for Pulseaudio, well I personally can say it has been great for me., no problems or niggles over a variety of hardware for a number of years now.

Comment

Im going with whatthefunk on this.

EXCEPT....that since I use hardware that the GregMan grabbed off the beltways and is SOOOOO vanilla..... that even the Sandman doesn't have a problem with it.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Losing Firefox -- going to be a tough one for me! I really like FX, have no clue what to try other than. Have had no problems with sound unless I had a problem with it. ;-) When something breaks (e.g., Skype), that's when you get into the mixer-adjustment sound shuffle. But when it works, it works.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  Losing Firefox -- going to be a tough one for me! I really like FX, have no clue what to try other than.
                  Firefox is NOT going away.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

Comment

claydoh, "Firefox is NOT going away." I guess I misunderstood and need to study what all this talk is about. Thought it wouldn't work on Kubuntu KDE after 12.04. I better do my homework here!
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                      claydoh, "Firefox is NOT going away." I guess I misunderstood and need to study what all this talk is about. Thought it wouldn't work on Kubuntu KDE after 12.04. I better do my homework here!

From the link posted higher up in this thread, poorly titled article, imo, and not even a fully direct link to the actual article
                      :
                      http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA3MjI
                      The stock Firefox web-browser could be used instead, but it will be without any KDE integration support. This "KDE support" is about using KDE file dialogs, file associations, protocol handlers, and other features that up to this point have been better integrated with the KDE desktop.
                      However, Kubuntu devs do maintain a ppa that provides the patched firefox
                      https://launchpad.net/~blue-shell/+archive/firefox-kde

You can find info on this here in KFN, too.
                      Last edited by claydoh; Aug 27, 2013, 03:17 PM.

Comment

It's the KDE specific format that's no longer delivered by Canonical.
                        For me it's not about looks and icons but about the file dialogue, the kDE one is a lot more sophisticated.

But the excellent people of Blue-Systems have taken up the project:
                        https://launchpad.net/~blue-shell/+archive/firefox-kde

Steve Riley gave a nice tip how to make it work:
                        http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...trations/page2

Comment

claydoh, Teunis, thanks guys for the tips, clarification, and links. I will get educated on this.

Comment

Working...
                          X