Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakage? What kind of breakage? It's installed separately, the configs are stored separately, it's a complete sandboxed solution to run KDE from git. So even if latest git breaks for you, you can always login into your regular KDE and enjoy a breakage free system

Comment

Originally posted by shadeslayer View Post
      it's a complete sandboxed solution to run KDE from git.
      It's been a while since I've had neon, but sounds that it'll likely be the best way to eventually test KDE5.

I know neon's kde settings were sandboxed by a different $KDEHOME, but what about $XDGDIRS (~/.local/share, ~/.config, ~/.cache), I'm mainly thinking akonadi here, are these sandboxed as well...or is it safer to use a separate user for neon? (something I used to do previously)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
        It's been a while since I've had neon, but sounds that it'll likely be the best way to eventually test KDE5.

I know neon's kde settings were sandboxed by a different $KDEHOME, but what about $XDGDIRS (~/.local/share, ~/.config, ~/.cache), I'm mainly thinking akonadi here, are these sandboxed as well...or is it safer to use a separate user for neon? (something I used to do previously)
        From /opt/project-neon/share/project-neon/environment.rc

Code:
        ## XDG
        ## put these seperate, needed for e.g. akonadi
        ## refer to http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
        mkdir -p $KDEHOME/local/share
        export XDG_DATA_HOME=$KDEHOME/local/share
        mkdir -p $KDEHOME/config
        export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=$KDEHOME/config
        mkdir -p $KDEHOME/cache
        export XDG_CACHE_HOME=$KDEHOME/cache
        export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$KDEDIR/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share
        hope that answers your question

Comment

Originally posted by shadeslayer View Post
          hope that answers your question
          Indeed it does, thanks

Comment

So, here's a good question regarding LightDM... Why doesn't KDE/Kubuntu fork LightDM for their own purposes. I know that may seem pathetic at first thought, but if this is going to be problematic for developers or for KDE-related organizations in the future, it should be a no-brainer, no??

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere already.

Comment

Claydoh mentioned a while back that KDE will likely switch to SLiM SDDM at some point.
              Last edited by SteveRiley; Aug 15, 2013, 02:08 AM. Reason: originally named incorrect display manager

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                Claydoh mentioned a while back that KDE will likely switch to SLiM at some point.
                You mean SDDM (a QML display manager), not SLiM.

Comment

Derp. Thanks for the correction!

Comment

Sddm

Earlier:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post329737

Ubuntu wish:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1157742

Kubuntu & Saucy

https://trello.com/kubuntu -> 13-10 Postponed

Other/Fedora

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SDDMinsteadOfKDM
                    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Intel Supporting Wayland

I am still on holidays and will not be returning to OZ for about a week, but I am still able to keep tabs on developments. This one particularly interested me as it has an impact on Ubuntu developing Mir and positive support for Wayland. In this Phoronix article Intel initially supported driver development for XMir and this has now been remove. The approach that they are now taking is best discribed in this quote from the article
                      Intel, which is a company heavily invested in Wayland and has many full-time employees working on the competing display server (including Kristian Høgsberg, the Wayland founder), now doesn't want any XMir support in their mainline driver. It's interesting to see Intel management force the XMir removal from the Intel driver just days after it was committed and to publicly state a neutral stance on Canonical's controversial display server.
                      So it is now up to Canonical to develop a driver in house for the Ubuntu 13.10 release -- yet more new software to integrate, verify and validate in a short space of time. Best of luck to our SABDFL.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                        So it is now up to Canonical to develop a driver in house for the Ubuntu 13.10 release -- yet more new software to integrate, verify and validate in a short space of time. Best of luck to our SABDFL.
                        Oh wow. Let me tell you a little something about this. Microsoft collects an astounding amount of useful telemetry from PCs whose owners have opted into this service. One aspect of this is data that leads to root cause analysis of blue screens. Well over 50% of crashes come from third-party drivers (and if I remember my numbers correctly, malware is the next 45%, and bugs in the OS make up only the remaining 5%). If the companies that make video hardware for a living have trouble maintaining high-quality driver code, the future of Mir on Intel seems grim indeed.

Comment

I just read that Phoronix article. Take a long, hard look at the following paragraph:
                          Canonical will now need to carry the XMir support out-of-tree from the xf86-video-intel driver. Canonical is also carrying patched versions of Mesa, xf86-video-ati, and xf86-video-nouveau for being able to support Mir/XMir in Ubuntu 13.10. The binary AMD and NVIDIA graphics drivers also remain incompatible with Mir.
                          At what point will Ubuntu no longer be Linux?

Comment

At what point will Ubuntu no longer be Linux?
                            When they stop using the Linux kernel?
                            I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

I just read that Phoronix article. Take a long, hard look at the following paragraph:
                              Good point to raise. I have just had a quick scan of the Phoronix article comments and if you want speed reading practice there are currently 23 pages of comments and 233 posts. Many of which are quite amusing. You may enjoy the picture of a bicycle with square wheels here to depict Mir .

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                                When they stop using the Linux kernel?
                                I think you know my meaning. While Android uses the Linux kernel, no one calls it a Linux distribution. In the same way, Canonical seems on a path to move Ubuntu away from being a Linux distribution and instead something that simply uses the Linux kernel.

Comment

Working...
                                X