This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touchpad doesn't work

I followed SteveRiley's quick how to for installing Kubuntu, on my HPMini netbook. I installed Ubuntu server 13.10, and following the instructions, removed the server and installed kubuntu-desktop. Both installations seemed to go without a hitch. I rebooted into Kubuntu, and the touchpad didn't work. Nor did a USB mouse. lsmod showed no module for touchpad or mouse. xinput showed no touchpad or mouse. The driver for the touchpad is supposed to be synaptics, but when I try to install it I'm informed that it has been replaced by tpconfig. So I installed tpconfig, and rebooted. The touchpad still doesn't work, but the USB mouse does, and lsmod and xinput show it. No sign of the touchpad, however. But there's this:
    Code:
    sudo tpconfig -i
    Found Synaptics Touchpad
    Firmware: 8.96
    I have a disability that makes it very difficult to use a mouse, so I really want to get the touchpad working. Is there something I can do?
    Last edited by arist; Mar 02, 2014, 07:29 PM.

Have you launched Synaptic from the main menu and set it up(main menu > Utilities > Synaptic) yet? There is a box to check for Synaptic to start on startup.

"I have a disability that makes it very difficult to use a mouse, so I really want to get the touchpad working. Is there something I can do?"

I find the touchpad under Windows and Linux to be very cumbersome to use however, Apple's touchpad is the cat's meow. I also have difficulties using
    a mouse and use a trackball instead.

Comment

When I click on Synaptics I get the error message "No touch pad was found in this system."

Some more information:
      Code:
      sudo apt-cache showpkg synaptics
      Package: synaptics
      Versions:
      Reverse Depends:
         tpconfig,synaptics
      Dependencies:
      Provides:
      Reverse Provides:

Comment

Sorry to hear you have trouble working with a mouse.

Because I HATE touch pads I know a command to disable it, pretty sure it also works the other way around by replacing the 0 with a 1.
        Code:
        xinput set-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Device Enabled" 0
        Google with this code and you might find more info.

Because I don't have my HP Mini at hand I can't tell you how it's set up, I do know the touch pad is working.

Comment

xinput doesn't find the touchpad. It's nowhere to found in the system. When I enter xinput set-prop it returns "unable to find device".

I think I'll try installing Saucy again. Thanks a lot for your help.

Comment

Not so quick!

There are ways to find the touch pad, try this one:
            Code:
            xinput list

Comment

xinput list doesn't find the touchpad.

Comment

See if kde-touchpad is available for installation.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  See if kde-touchpad is available for installation.
                  It's not. I managed to get it working by doing a fresh install. See this thread for the problems I've having with that.

Comment

Good that you have most working, sleep is overvalued anyway

To show the difference between HPmini's, this is the output of ours:
                    Code:
                    [EMAIL="helle@helle-HP-Mini:"]helle@helle-HP-Mini:[/EMAIL]~$ xinput list
                    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
                    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
                    ⎜   ↳ HP HP Wireless Optical Mouse              id=10   [slave  pointer  (2)]
                    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                id=13   [slave  pointer  (2)]
                    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
                        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
                        ↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
                        ↳ Video Bus                                 id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
                        ↳ Power Button                              id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
                        ↳ Sleep Button                              id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
                        ↳ Webcam-101                                id=11   [slave  keyboard (3)]
                        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard              id=12   [slave  keyboard (3)]
                        ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                            id=14   [slave  keyboard (3)]
                    Here the Touchpad is showing nicely.
                    The little HW button above it to enable/disable also works.

Comment

Pretty much the same here:
                      Code:
                      ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
                      ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
                      ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad              	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
                      ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
                          ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                          ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                          ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                          ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                          ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                          ↳ Webcam-101                              	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                          ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                          ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                          	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                      I'm glad it's working, but Saucy for some reason doesn't like this computer: there's always one problem or another. Now I can't upgrade without breaking the screen resolution, and resume from hibernation doesn't work. This computer been through at least five versions of Kubuntu, with occasional problems, but nothing like this.

Comment

Working...
                      X